Freedom045@aol.com
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 14:38:09 EDT

In a message dated Fri, 11 Aug 2000 2:01:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Leslie_R <trojan@atoka.net> writes:

<< ((I could have handled it better, by not being such a wuss.))

<<alright, here's a brand-new state of the art fighter, nevermind that we've only given you the basics of pilot training so far.. oh and what's that? the enemy's leading ace is out there and he wants to kill You?
well, have fun :) >>

Kou should have stayed on the ground and not tried to go play the "hero". Still, I give him a few points for trying his best, which was obviously not good enough.

<< ((A cooler,))
it's all about the cool ones getting all the glory isn't it? >>

By 'cooler', I meant someone who was calm and confident and able to react competently in a stressful combat situation.

<< ((more competent pilot would have been able to handle the situation better than Kou.))

granted, but considering Kou's lack of expireince he's lucky to have survived >>

He only survived because Gato didn't want waste his time on such a pathetic opponent.

<< ((The fact that Operation Stardust succeeded is irrelevant to the character of Kou Uraki. We didn't need him to save the day, we just needed to have him act like a MAN.))

a big, sweaty, hairy-chested MAN! *OO-Rah* Get me a Beer Woman! >>

That's not what being a man is about.

<< ((Gato was a legend even before his death. Kou is now living in disgrace, a forgotten footnote in the world of the Universal Century.))

of course Gato was probalby never asked to chase-down the Federation's leading Ace pilots when he went on his first real mission >>

Who says? If Gato had been given that assignment on his first mission, I think he would have relished it. Gato was that kind of guy.

<< ((Oh, I find the fact that some people consider Kou to be the equal of Gato to be very funny indeed.))

all other things being equal the probably were (remember Nina's evaluation of the test-data the fist time Kou took the Gundam out?)>>

I say she fudged the data. Nothing in the animation backs up her claims. I personally think she picked Kou because she knew she could "control" him (him being a basic wuss, and now pu$$ywhipped on top of that), whereas a "real" test pilot would have pushed the GP-01 to the edge of the envelope, much to Nina's chagrin ("Aiieeee!! Atashi no Gundam!!!").

Kou got his ass kicked constantly in those first few battles. I didn't see anything in those combat scenes that made me think Kou showed any "real" skill as a mobile suit pilot. Did you?

<<but things weren't equal were they? Kou had the deck stacked against him from day one and things didn't get any better after that so he really dosn't need to be cumped-on any more for things that were out of his control alright?>>

He's a wuss and I don't feel sorry for him. He was in over his head and he should have been a man about it and admitted it and taken himself out, especially after he almost got the GP-01 destroyed against Cima. He only returned to pilot the GP-01fb because Nina wanted him to. I guess that shows you who the boss was in that relationship!

<<-Les
who is just having one too many High School flash-backs reading this>>

Was I one of those football players who gave you a wedgie when you were a freshman?

Tom