Thu, 3 Aug 2000 00:43:56 -0700 (PDT)

--- Chris Maier <oom9@crosswinds.net> wrote:

> So is Wing more popular in Hong Kong then in Japan,
> hence the figures being released there?

Well, Gundam Wing was aired publicly on Hong Kong TV
3 years ago (1997-98) and it was, like other Gundam TV
series, a major hit which gained instant popularity
with the local fans. The rush release of_five_Gundam
Wing MSiA at once, however, took me by surprise,
because the MSiA release schedule in Hong Kong was a
"one figure each month" affair, with the only
exception of Tetsu toys reissue of
Gundam/ZakuII/Char's Zaku back in this Feburary, but
then the flood gate was blown open with 3 sets of
MSiAs available within the same month: Zeta Gundam
first, then Okawara's colour version of Gundam/Zaku,
and finally Wing Gundam in June.
Just last month we saw the simutaneous release of G-3
Gundam and (supposedly not-for-sale) RX-78-2 Gundam
'crystal version' (to promote Wonder Swan's "SD Gundam
G-Gen Gather Beat" Pocket Video Game). So by now, i am
not surprise if Bandai rush out the rest of GW MSiA in
Hong Kong all at once.

My guess for the rush release is because (1) Bandai
want to capitalize the U.S. success of Gundam Wing and
its sales of MSiA series there, and (2) they release
all the GW MSiAs to clear the way for the scheduled
releases of GM/Ball, Zeong, and Big Zam MSiA in the
following months.

Nightingale.
http://side7.gundam.com/newtype_asylum/