Roland Thigpen (jenius@unspacy.org)
2 Aug 2000 00:51:02 -0000

On Tue, 1 Aug 2000 17:34:57 -0700 (PDT) Michael Wong x4241 <Michael.Wong@nsc.com> wrote:
>Dear List:

Good to know I am not the only one. Okay, I see you point but it is not really
>fair to compare EVA with 6th. Sense or Wild Things because for Evangelion's
>case, even those who have seen it can't quite agree on what really happened in
>the end. I would probably not be too please if someone told me how the 6th
>Sense ended, on the otherhand, knowing Wild Things' stupid ending wouldn't ruin
>the experience for me too much because the story was ludicrous in the first
>place and the sole purpose of watching the film was to see Denise Richard's
>breasts and lesbian scene with Neve Campbell. If I knew I'd see Kevin's Bacon
>(heh!) I wouldn't even have bothered boing.

Well, the reason I included Wild Things in there was because it was the first movie in about 10 years that I had watched and not been able to tell exactly how it would end 10 minutes into the film. It was surprising to me that such a "soft porn" (for lack of a better phrase) type of film should actually have such a twist ending.

Other than that though, it wasn't that good, I agree.

>The ending to the 6th. sense was
>not spoiled for me beforehand because I know enough to avoid reading any posts
>in movie newsgroups and reviews that has to do with the movie. People who read
>a message titled "Evangelion Question" should have the sense to know that the
>content of it will have something to do with the plot/story pertaining to the
>movie/series and NOT read it if they don't want to read "spoilers".

>> Well, we just have different ideas of what constitutes death. In many ways, yes they are dead....but for some reason, I don't think of what happened as such.
>
>Okay, note also that there's really no evidence that they really became merged
>into the "higher evolved" being either. The experiment could have failed and
>left their souls burning in hell.

Note, I didn't say anything about higher evolution...see below.

>> Just one of the contradictions I can live with.
>
>Yup.
>

>> True, control is probably the wrong word. Still, it was his choice not to join in the painless...yet joyless amalgamation being that mankind was forming with Lillith/Rei III that caused its destruction and Instrumentality's failure....if I'm remembering correctly (I only watched the movie a couple times and right now a friend has my copy of it so I can't rewatch it right now), that is why I said he controlled it. Everyone else apparently had no real choice in the matter, they joined with Lillith. Shinji on the other hand, still had the ability to choose. And his choice could allow Instrumentality to continue or could stop it.
>
>I am not sure if he really had a choice either, I'll have to watch the end of
>the series again to determine. The thought of being in a painless and joyless
>amalgamation of sentient entity is really a scary thought, is that really much
>of an evolution of us as a species? It sounded more like a de-evolution to me
>as that is felt more like regressing from humans back to the amoeba than
>transforming to a higher being. Did Instrumentality really fail? Was the
>amalgamation really destroyed? I am not too sure about that either.

Well, have you ever heard the phrase "Returning to the womb"? That was what Instrumentality was, a return to the form from which humanity sprang in an attempt to join all of humanity together in total. Some will say that Gendo wanted it to get back with the only woman he ever loved, Yui; some say Keel did it so he could finally leave his body because he was the eternally walking Jew, punished by God to forever walk the Earth to attone for his crime; some might say it was an attempt to restart humanity from the Darwinian dead end species it had become.

Whatever, it was a return to what we once were, so it was in part, a de-evolution.

As for whether or not the amalgamation was destroyed, I don't know. I'd like to think humanity wasn't completely wiped out except for Shinji and Asuka (and combining the movie and the tv series endings would make it seem that Shinji wouldn't want to live in a world without others), but that might not be the case. After all, they may all be contained within Eva-1/Yui who as you may have noticed is floating in space with the Lance of Longinius at the end, as if towards a new destiny for a new people.

I don't
>understand why people consider the beginning of the series a bait to hook in
>the otakus, it is the end of the Evangelion that got me interested in new anime
>again! Guess I am not an otaku... (had given up anime 3 years before watching
>new anime again, it was the first episodes of EVA that turned me off to new
>anime in the first place as I was tired of all the young teenagers piloting
>giant robots genre and I hate most all shoujo stuff.)

I don't know, I can see it in some ways. But I have a habit of seeing many sides of almost any arguement. I may have my own, but I can usually see and at least somewhat understand others. Hell, if you can understand the Nazi's reasons for wanting to exterminate a people, although you despise the act and those self same reasons, you might see what I mean by that.

>> So, while most of my values and morals are Christian, my faith itself might not be consider wholy Christian....if that makes any sense....
>
>It does, you are implying that you believe your God is more than just the God as
>portrayed by Christianity and the Bible. That view is already much more
>tolerant than a lot of people out there. 8)
>
>> Roland
>
>Michael

Hee, thanks.

Roland