Lady Rhyaniwyn (alyanawhitemage@hotmail.com)
Tue, 01 Aug 2000 18:25:00 EDT

>>You were able to grasp the concept very easily, I must say.

Well, thank you. ^_^

However, I still must think that the other opinions expressed seem equally
valid. What Edward Ju was saying about how it is rumored that pressures
made Gainax alter their original ending to the one seen on TV, which was
played out more fully in its original conception in EoE was what I
originally heard.

(before I saw it). I didn't know how big of a switch was pulled, though. I
wasn't dissapointed as some people I've met were. I agreed with most of the
concepts I deciphered from the TV ending. In what light these are meant to
be interpreted is probably ambiguous and the ambiguity is probably
deliberate. If you were to create an anime of similar proportions, would
you impose one concrete meaning on it? (I don't think anyone here is trying
to do that, either...which is great IMO) I think most people create stories
with a meaning in mind (one that appeals to them or that they are trying to
get accross), but that they also expect people to receive different shades
of meaning from the story.

Also, the comments on Christianity. There's a heck of a lot of
Christian-based religous symbolism etc. in Eva. But there are also symbols
and references to a large variety of other relgions. One I know for sure is
Quabala (Kabala; there are several different spellings). Some of you
probably already know that the design with the circles connected by lines
(as well as the...this may be a slight spoiler and I'm not used to warning
people about those...pattern of circles the mass-produced Evas form in the
air around Eva 01 in EoE) is from Quabala. I'm not as well-versed as I once
was in the more 'alternative' religions, so I sure on exactly which others
are referred to. I know there are probably a couple of others. I might
could go look it up, but I don't think it's necessary for my point (plus,
someone else probably already knows ^_^). ***I ended up writing too much on
that subject, so I stuck it at the end. If you're interested in what I said
on the subject, go to the end. I'd like to keep my mouth shut in case their
*is* someone here that's going to be offended, but I've been cursed***

Could it be that both endings are equally valid? Adolescence Mokushiroku is
pretty different from Shoujo Kakumei Utena in events (and in many ways is as
disturbing compared to the TV show as EoE is to it's respective TV run); but
director Kunihiko Ikuhara says the movie is an alternate version of the TV
story (he also says he wanted to "show the kinds of sins most people
struggle to live with"--and he claims to be influenced by Anno, they are
apparantly buddies of a kind). Perhaps the movies are meant to a valid new
version of the ending or a projection of what was happening outside of
Shinji's head; in either case a valid alternative story. And...errr...*lost
train of thought* ...err... something? Ah-HA! A lot of references are made
in the endings to the 'real world' and reality. A lot of identity-searching
involves finding out what you think is real, what you believe, and what the
world is really like. But the world is not the same for everyone, or there
would not be such disparate opinions on things. Not only does the world
change as your perspective does (standing on your head vs. standing on your
feet), but the experiences we all go through shape our views. Those
experiences differ widely, but in general are the same. Either the
personality unique to the individual shapes how we interpret things or our
early experiences pre-destine us to see things a certain way...who knows?
The end result is many differing opinions on reality. But the essense of
reality is that there can be only one, right? I suppose it should be that
way, but it is obviously not. Perhaps everyone exists in their own isolated
world, interpreting and living with the actions of others through a warped
perception, never really understanding anyone else. Perhaps all perceptions
are equally valid realities simply because they exist and therefore are.
So, in the end, each version (even if you interpret them to mean different
things) can be the same story told from different perspectives. So who is
to say which is real and which is not? Anno was not the only person who
created Eva, and Eva was also created in each of our minds as we watched it.
  Can we ever speak definitively on the subject? From my perspective, no.
And I think, therefore, the best way to understand what Eva truly is, truly
means, and which version is correct, we must integrate all opinions into
some kind of semi-cohesive whole.

Eh-Heh,
Rhyaniwyn

BTW: That's the first I heard about Shinji's speech becoming more vulgar in
EoE--thanks! I don't speak Japanese, but I know what subtlties the speaking
patterns can convey. I'm always glad when someone mentions something like
that, because it helps me better understand.

***
Though I agree that history and on average Christains and Muslims are more
anxious about their religions, I don't think it's really a good idea to
point it out... (No insult intended; I've gotten bitched out about my
comments before.) I think that may be because the religions are so large.
If you're a minority religion, you can't really afford to go around
complaining, "You're oppressing me and my religious freedom. That is
insulting to my God. You're an infidel!" Someone might tie you to a fence
and kill you, though many people will probably let you have your own beliefs
in peace. Not only does sheer size give larger religions more sway, it also
makes many people believe that they are right. Well, I've debated over that
before...hell...I'm gonna try and be concise while still coming across well,
but this is a detailed topic. A friend has argued to me that the essense of
a religion is believing that your religion is the correct one, but I
disagree. You can believe something without neccessarily thinking that
everyone else is wrong. I'll always admit that, though I think one thing,
there's really no guarantee that I'm correct because I don't really *know*.
The essense of religion is faith--even if I know I may not be correct, I
believe anyway. That relates to what I was talking about before because
(^_^) I think that many Christians are not Christians out of faith, but out
of popularity and their upbringing. I think many people turn to religious
faith out of desperation (so many people searching for something to believe
in...), becase it's so easily accepted to have god help you out of the
darkness. And they pick Christianity simply because it *is* large it *is*
in your face (out of sheer numbers) and they do not want to be further
alienated from their peers by seeking out some other faith. I have other
reasons...but I'm really starting to rant here. Suffice it to say that
Christianity is a faith as valid as any (I take no sides and keep my
religious beliefs to myself), but that, as large as it is, it draws people
searching for religion out of insecurity and not true conviction or faith.
Therefore, you'll find many people acting aggressively against things they
see as threatening to their solace--which just sparks everyone else off. It
may also just be that large numbers mean larger numbers of people acting
defensive, when the proportions may be quite similar in all religions.