Roland Thigpen (jenius@unspacy.org)
1 Aug 2000 20:48:43 -0000

On Tue, 1 Aug 2000 13:17:40 -0700 (PDT) Michael Wong x4241 <Michael.Wong@nsc.com> wrote:
>Dear List:

And someone complained about me commenting on the masturbation scene needing spoiler space?

Geez, Michael, you'll notice most of us went out of our way not to mention alot of the stuff you did so that people that haven't seen the movie or end of the series, and are planning to, wouldn't have it spoiled for them.

Please, put in some spoiler space for those kind of revelations like I did here.

Note: Do NOT read below if you don't want some major spoilers.

Roland

>> >Other than Shinji masturbating over Asuka's comatose body....not really no.
>>
>> Hmm, I wonder where are the spoiler police?
>>
>> >They actually show that? >:( Ah well I guess I can see why peop0le think
>> >Anno was a little demented.
>> >
>> >Jason
>>
>> Nope, but you figure it out based on the aftermath. Shinji's speech
>> pattern/vocabulary usage has also deteriorated (becoming more vulgar) since
>> the TV series - this is something that can easily get lost in translations,
>> whether it be dub or sub.
>
>Is this after everyone on earth died? Or are you guys talking about another
>section of the episode that I forgot about? I thought he was actually having
>real sex with Asuka, from the position of their lower bodies it looked like he
>had actual penetration. Anyway, I liked it that Asuka's first reaction when
>she woke up was glancing towards the direction of their genetalia and then
>insulted Shinji. The subsequent attempt of strangulation was unexpected
>though...

I think he was talking about the mess Shinji had on his hand, and his comment about how he must be a sick person.

>> One thing that hasn't been mentioned during all this discussion was what was
>> going on in the _real_ world at the time, not the "real world" in the world
>> of Eva but the world we live in, specifically what was going on in Japan.
>
>I thought the "real world" had ended with the 3rd. impact and all humans have
>been killed. Looked like the "Human Resupplying Project" had been successful
>and everyone has been joined together as a collective soul (death = attaining
>god-hood?)

No, everyone did not die. They simply left their physical bodies and their souls combined into the original being through Rei/Lillith/Eva 1. As both Gendo and Keel wanted. But instead of either of them controlling it, the one in control was Shinji (and in some ways Yui, due to Rei III's refusal to aid Gendo).

>> As you probably know, there are a lot of religious references throughout the
>> series and they weren't necessarily positive. This has upset the religious
>> fanatics in Japan and they did make a big fuss about it, since Eva was shown
>> on broadcast TV, after all. Factor in the crunch Gainax faced when the
>> series was winding up, many have speculated that the TV series ended the way
>> it did because Gainax was under pressure to change the original ending (you
>> can probably tell how inflammatory the EoE ending is, if used as the TV
>> series' ending) and given the lack of time and budget, they ended up using
>> single frames and storyboard sketches to fill out most of the last couple
>> of episodes.
>
>Funny that we don't have buddhist (way too many to mention) or Tao (Outlaw Star)
>of Hindu (3x3 Eyes) fanatics protesting to the less than favourable portrayal of
>their religion in anime series. It seems only Christians and Muslim take such
>offense... are they insecure about their religion?

Many are. As for myself, I'm Christian, but I have no problems asking questions of my faith. In many ways God has said that questions of faith are good to ask.

>I didn't realize there was
>such a large Christian community in Japan to force Gainax into changing their
>ending, but then again the more fanatical Christian "minority" has always been
>a very vocal bunch. Does anyone know how the "real" ending of Evangelion's TV
>run was going to be like? All this talk about Eva and the fact I just watched
>the last few episodes 2 weeks ago has really piqued my interest in the show, I
>agree with that other person who got bored with the show after 4 episodes. I
>really hated it too. But that was before I watched the last 1/3 of the series.
>8)
>
>> Eddie
>
>Michael

Hell, I loved it all the way through, and like BOTH endings. Maybe it's because I had no real preconceived notions on how it should have been ended, and that I can seperate one as the ending in Shinji's mind (the tv one) and the other in "reality" (EoE). It is one of my favorite anime series, if not my favorite.

Roland