MS06ZAK@aol.com
Tue, 01 Aug 2000 13:12:09 EDT

In a message dated Tue, 1 Aug 2000 12:44:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Brett Jensen <heero@earthlink.net> writes:

<<

Lady Rhyaniwyn wrote:

> Also, how did you interpret those endings...it's been a while since I saw
> the TV ending, but I own the movie (maybe that, too, is why I like the movie
> more, huh? ^^).

My interpretation of the TV ending is this: Shinji is just a normal kid who
hates his life, and does nothing but Daydream. The entire story up this point is
merely one of Shinji's fantasies. Hence all the story twists that never really
went anywhere. A great practical joke if you ask me.

The whole series was Anno's indictment of the Otaku culture, which Gainax itself
had so wonderfully celebrated in "Otaku no video". In otherwords the message
was: "Don't take Trivial things too seriously." -

That actually makes a lot of sense. I mean at the end they say congratulations to the viewer. As if to say congratulations for joining the real world.

Jason