John DeMoranville (jdemoran74@earthlink.net)
Mon, 31 Jul 2000 11:03:01 -0400

John DeMoranville
jdemoran74@earthlink.net

----- Original Message -----
From: "Echo|Fox" <echofox@wingzero.net>
To: <gundam@aeug.org>
Sent: Monday, July 31, 2000 10:38 AM
Subject: [gundam] Gundam X Ending Questions [SPOILERS]

> Wee =) Been a while since I've been able to have a marathon Gundam
> weekend (considering all of the new anime I can easily get my hands
on,
> its depressing how hard Gundam is to come by), but I finished off
Gundam X
> this weekend. I have a few lingering questions, and they're definately
> spoilers, so time for:

> WARNING! Do not read below if you haven't seen the end of Gundam X!

> Okay, good enough.
>
> 1. It was never fully explained what a Category F is. My assumption is
> it's just someone exhibiting newtype like abilities, but without the
> ability to activate the flash system, correct? I seem to recall
someone
> calling the brothers "failures", so that's what the F stands for?

I assumed that the "F" stood for failling to link with the flash system.

> 2. After the Virsago becomes the Chest Break, and the Ashataron gets
to be
> a hermit crab, we see in the last episode that they've got their own
> satellite cannon. I'm assuming this was the one that was broken off of
the
> GX, and they were able to build the solar panels based on the time
when
> they'd captured the GX?

Not sure on this one. The cannon also(but unlikely) could have come
from Jamil's old GX that was used as the basis for the Double X.

> 3. Any explanation as to why the Space Revolutionary (subbed as
> "rebellion" when I watched it) Army's more advanced MS's were able to
eat
> direct hits from beam weapons?

I alway just took this as the fact that SR's technology was so much more
advanced since they didn't have to deal with the cataclysm of the
multiple colony drop.

> 4. Is it just me, or did Gundam X, overall, have some of the worst
mecha
> design ever? The X was reasonably nice in a classic way, and as far as
> massively overpowered gundams go, the Double X was cool, but the
Airmaster
> and Leopard were dissapointing, and I hated the Virsago and Ashtaron.
Add
> on entirely forgettable grunt MS's (not a single memorable one amongst
> them, and most of them just ripped of characteristics of previous mass
> produced designs?)

The grunts were some of the ugliest mecha I have ever seen. However, I
did happen to like the Airmaster and the Leapord designs.

> 5. Is it just me, or does the Double X borrow liberally from F-91?
It's
> solar panels flipping out look suspiciously like the F91's heat
> dissipators, the dual cannons flipping over the shoulder, and the
general
> look and feel was the same..

Unfortunately, I haven't seen F-92.

> 6. I've noticed that all of the alternate continuities seem to have
happy
> endings. Wing and X both did, but i'd say X's was a bit more
satisfying.
> In Wing, you've got war ending and everything living happily ever
after...
> in X, the good guys win, but they at least hint that there are
occasional
> skirmishes, which seems a bit more realistic to me. I'm assuming G and
> Turn A both have "happy" endings as well? I guess this is because
they're
> supposed to be standalone, and there isn't the same hope of another
series
> to bring back hope =)

For some reason I have always preferred happy endings. I don't mind if
characters die, but for some reason if someone doesn't come out for the
better at the end, I just don't feel like there was any payoff in
watching in the first place. Maybe that's why I didn't care for EVA
that much.

> 7. Did Tifa really lose her newtypes powers, or was it more of a
symbolic
> thing, sort of rejecting the idea of her being different and
forgetting
> about them?

Personally, I think it was just symbolic. D.O.M.E. didn't actually do
anything to her, he just told her to throw away the name newtype.

> 8. Is it just me, or was the whole "romance" thing really poorly done?
> Roby falling for Sarah made sense, since you also had Witts + Tonya,
your
> typical fighter jock + bridge bunny type deal ... but since you had to
> pair Sarah with Jamil, having him end up with Enil felt tacked on.
Same
> goes for Paula and Kid? What's with that? Since Garoad was taken,
throw
> her in with the mechanic for no reason other than everyone needs a
> romantic interest? Bleh. Really heavy handed and offputting.

I think, if the series had gone on for the full 49 episodes they would
have done a better job of pairing everyone up. I kind of liked having
Roby and Enil together and then living near Witts and Tonya. Paula and
Kid did seem kind of abrupt, but there was some foreshadowing of it
briefly when they were together working on the G-Falcon.

> Hmmm that should be about it, unless any responses can spark my
memory.

> ---
> Nicholas "Echo|Fox" Paufler
> http://www.wingzero.net - Home of the High Quality Gundam Image
Archive
> "The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts
agree,
> is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer
professionals. We