Richie Ramos (gaijin@i-manila.com.ph)
Mon, 31 Jul 2000 05:12:50 GMT

>Some comments on the GML over the last little while got me thinking. Given
>early MS technology, it was probably easier/cheaper/faster (at least for the

>short term) to retrain existing military personnel to pilot mobile suits
>than it was to ramp up a training program (which you didn't even have
>instructors for yet) to train people from scratch. So given that, what
>branch of the military would have been able to adapt best?
>You take someone from a tank platoon and throw them in a MS and they're
>going to be hindered because they're not thinking in 3D. They've been
>attatched to the ground for their military career, so they won't make full

>use of their jump jets (what's the gundam term for them, anyway?). Like
>Norris said in 08th MS Team, they were thinking too linearally and as such

>he was better able to take advantage of his environment. Spacenoids have a

>natural advantage here, since from birth, they haven't been tied to the same

>preconceptions.
>Taking the other end of the spectrum, you've got fighter jocks, who should

>be fine in space MS combat, but put them on the ground and they'd be at a
>serious disadvantage, not having any experience at making use of cover and

>standing still.
>An infantryman seems a good choice, since MS's are humanoid, but they
>wouldn't have the benefit of military equipment extending their abilities,

>so they're still thinking like a human. They might do okay on the ground,
>but they'd definately have problems in space.
>Oddly enough, my vote goes to helicopter pilots. They're already experienced

>in three dimensional movement, they make use of ground cover, and they'd be

>more comfortable than the others in both space and ground battles, since
>they're already accustomed to free movement.
>Any thoughts? Anyone care to cast their vote in with someone else?
>Nicholas "Echo|Fox" Paufler

Good question. I would think that they would be recruiting from all branches
of the forces for the MS pilot programs. Land MS's would be piloted by infantry
and mechanized battalion or heavy armor recruits. the infantry guys would be
using the light MS's, while the MB or HA people would be in stuff like the Guncannon
or guntank. It makes the most sense. Special forces people would be in MS's
like the GM sniper.

Space MS's would have Air force people in it, since the use of 3d in fighting
is of the utmost importance.

flashlight.

www.localvibe.com
ofc: (632) 4167486 / fax: (632) 4167479
cel: 0917-4024780 / hse: (632) 7231308 (emergency use)
ICQ#: 12914919

I am NOT a starving writer.