Mad Mike (mikechoi@pacbell.net)
Sun, 30 Jul 2000 16:21:36 -0700

Echo|Fox wrote:

> Some comments on the GML over the last little while got me thinking. Given
> early MS technology, it was probably easier/cheaper/faster (at least for the
> short term) to retrain existing military personnel to pilot mobile suits
> than it was to ramp up a training program (which you didn't even have
> instructors for yet) to train people from scratch.

        Generally yeah. The Fed needed a lot of MS jocks and fast...
They more than anybody else can succeed with 90 day boy wonder and for
the most part can be successful- especially if mobile suits are used
on the ground. The Space Nazis had the advanatge of initially having
mechs but squandered it either through committing so many resources
on the ueberweapons- mobile armors and committing large portions of
their standing military to assault Earth (which they were bound to
lose because it was the EF's home turf and decided to kick the space
trash out with one swift campaign).
        Even the most powerful MS has a limited amounts of thrust and
reaction mass/fuel to make a very unaerodynamic rock fly. Space is
different there is for all intents and purpsoes no gravity to pull
objects down to a large spheroid body.

> So given that, what branch of the military would have been able to adapt
> best?

        The Feds will probably look for individual volunteers because it
makes no sense to convert large numbers of untis when some soldiers
cannot
nor will not cope. Suits may have revolutized how fleet actions are
conducted in space because ships no longer have the sensor capabilties
make the "T-shaped" gun battle a reality but they will not replace the
armor, artillery, the infantry, etc on the ground. Supplement and
compliment but not replace.

> You take someone from a tank platoon and throw them in a MS and they're
> going to be hindered because they're not thinking in 3D.

        I'm not so sure. A MS platoon on the ground will have to adopt
many if not all the tactics so prevalent at small unit armored
warfare.
The bounding and traveling overwatch, the line, the column, echelon
left and right, and the wedge and vee.
        Because they are significantly taller they cannot take advantage
of hull/turret defilade positions; ability to haid in depressions from
view and then drive up the slope and hammmer away. OTOH since suits
generally have at least a limited amount of fuel and a fair amount of
tens of thousands lbs of static thrust/kilonewtons they can do the
Battletech Death from above scenario quite nicely or at least make
the movement to contact phase a lot more interesting.
        Yes they will be need to be retrained on how to fight in
space but when their feet touches solid ground they know how to fight.

> Like Norris said in 08th MS Team, they were thinking too linearally
> and as such he was better able to take advantage of his environment.

        Possibly but Packard grew up in big can that generated its
own gravity by spinning along the long axis.
        That can be negated by looking at a map and reading the
contours and anticipating where the enemy can go- ie in Burning
giving Uraki a lttle lecture in 0083 on where Gato with his ill
gotten wealth.

> Taking the other end of the spectrum, you've got fighter jocks, who should
> be fine in space MS combat, but put them on the ground and they'd be at a
> serious disadvantage, not having any experience at making use of cover and
> standing still.

        So you keep them flying FF type core fighters as in the Blue
Destiny manga and if they volunteer and are accepted they'll have to
learn the MS on the ground is flying rock... Or jsut keep things
simple
and post them to space duty.
        If you're at war there;s a tendency to shortcut training. That
can only cost you but a principle of war is mass. The ability to mass
troops, materiel, weapons sytems either strategically outproducing
the enemy or on a operational/tactical level where your side shows
up somewhere with more and newer stuff because you took a short
cut and went around a bend instead of through their lines.

> An infantryman seems a good choice, since MS's are humanoid, but they
> wouldn't have the benefit of military equipment extending their abilities,
> so they're still thinking like a human. They might do okay on the ground,
> but they'd definately have problems in space.

        You'll need all the infantry you can get. If the Jions have any
sort of riflemen even support troops elite light infantry will make
them wish they never set foot on Terra.

> Oddly enough, my vote goes to helicopter pilots. They're already experienced
> in three dimensional movement, they make use of ground cover, and they'd be
> more comfortable than the others in both space and ground battles, since
> they're already accustomed to free movement.

        Rotary wing aviation amy not give its crewmen an opportunity because
choppers are so versatile... Think about how the Huey's used and it
hasn't
gotten any better even if current utility birds are larger and
regarded
as more capable. While some of these a/c will be aerodynes or tilt
fans
or tilt rotors same concept the ability to maneuver operational forces
(or
higher end tactical forces) through the air and not just the ground.

                                                                Mad Mike

--
"How lucky you English are to find the toilet so amusing. For us, it
is a mundane