Alfred Urrutia (ledzep@d2.com)
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 12:20:30 -0700

ROBOTICK wrote:

> We're mutts. I heard something like that on "The Wonder Years" and it made
> enough sense to remember it, because it applies to you as an American
> whether you like it or not, unless you are an immigrant, child of immigrants
> of the same nationality, or a Native American, of course. It kind of makes
> you wonder; in what generation does a mutt become his own breed? Though

Well, that's the secret to being American - no true ancient culture to hold us
down. Are we really outwardly conservative, like the some of the English and
most of Asia? Some of us, maybe. Are we psychos like soccer hooligans or
rugby players? Some of us, maybe. Are we freeform and laidback like a lot of
Amsterdam or Greece? Some of us, maybe. We don't have any rigid story to hold
up. Cultural mutts, for sure. I like it that way. None of that "Oh, we don't
do that sort of thing is this country," for the most part.

Alfred.