Echo|Fox (echofox@wingzero.net)
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 10:41:00 -0600 (MDT)

I finally got my greedy little mitts on the second half of Gundam X.
Admittedly, I didn't much care for the first half, but as I picked up at
episode 21, a startling revelation come over me ... I was enjoying it.
Don't get me wrong, this isn't a thinking man's Gundam, but it's fairly
entertaining, and I realized something. When I first watched X, well over
a year ago, my only experience with Gundam had been 0083 (Which I loved),
Wing (which I dug, at the time), and 0080 (which I didn't like at the
time, more on this later), and as such, I expected all Gundam to be action
series. I didn't understand 0080, or why I should care about this little
kid. However, in the intervening time, i've seen a good chunk of Zeta, a
few eps of ZZ, Char's Counterattack, 08th MS Team, and I've read
extensively about Gundam, and my appreciation for the characters grew.
When I watched the first episode of Turn A, I went in with an open mind,
because I knew what "alternate universe" meant in the Gundam context, and
as such, really enjoyed it. When I resumed watching X, I accepted that
this was a bit more light-hearted and I was able to appreciate it for what
it was. This is the big reason that I really want to see G Gundam, becaues
its nice to see something thats Gundam, but not quite the Gundam I know
and love.

SPOILERS
SPOILERS

There may be spoilers below for Gundam X, so if you wanna stay in the
dark, don't read 'em.

SPOILERS
SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

So, enough of my rambling, back to the second half of X. It's nice to see
that the story picks up and gains some focus. Is it just me, or did Garoad
grow some balls overnight? He's no longer the whiny kid I remember. What's
with the generic mobile suits here? Horrible designs, almost universally.
Some look like they came straight out of Turn A (or perhaps, Turn A came
straight out of it..), and you've got some that look like generic GM's
with modified Dom heads grafted on. Hell, even the Gundams are prety ugly.
I really dislike the flashy look of Wing, but I like these even less. The
Airmaster is neat in concept, but in execution leaves something to be
desired. Leopard is ... ehh ... too blah. The first iteration of the
Gundam X was quite nice, IMHO, and the Double X is interesting. DEFINITE
shades of F91 show up in its designs. The two brothers gundams are just
ugly, though, and really emphasize everything I hated about Wing's flashy
designs (Style over substance ... BAD!).
As for characters, Witts and Roby are a bit too one dimensional for my
tastes. They're likable enough, but we've seen them done before, and
better. I really don't like Jamil at all, the whole sunglasses wearing
Newtype is too Quattro Bajina. As I said, Garoad grew up and isn't so bad.
Tifa finally decided she's not a Rei clone (yay! Rei sucks anyway :P).
Most of the characters seem to be cut from molds we've all seen before,
which is unfortunate since characters have always been Gundam's strength
(except Kou :P).
Still, taken on its own its a decent alternate universe Gundam saga. I'll
put it ahead of Wing, since it doesn't blatantly rip of characters/plot
elements as frequently, doesn't have Relena, the bishounen factor is low,
and the fact that the X and the Double X are nice MS's in the "classic"
look. It falls behind all UC stories, as well as Turn A, though, at least
from what I've seen.

---
Nicholas "Echo|Fox" Paufler