The iMatt (mhanyo1@umbc.edu)
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 10:16:24 -0400

I always love relaying how I go about doing this. I use gundam markers on my
models. I go over the detail lines and whatnot with the marker, usually
covering way more than just the detail line. Then, I use a butterfly knife
to scratch the excess paint off, leaving only the detail lines on (since
they're indented, the knife doesn't scratch that paint off). It gives the
models a bit of an "unpolished" or "worn" look that I like. That actually
works pretty well for just about any detail - I've done custom decals and
stuff that way, scratching them into a thin layer of paint.

You can also use Gundam Marker #1, but it's more of a pen, and that stuff
smears if you play with them. (Granted the overpainting and scratching take
a lot of time, but you get good results.) I ought to post some pictures of
these guys on my site.

Matt "not quite but almost Zen in a can" Hanyok
http://deruberhanyok.freeservers.com/
"Why don't you fall to bits?"
I DON'T KNOW. I NEVER HAVE.
"I've seen skelingtons of birds and things and they all fall to bits."
PERHAPS IT IS BECAUSE THEY ARE WHAT SOMETHING WAS, WHEREAS THIS IS WHAT I
AM.

- from a conversation between Death and a small child, in "Reaper Man" by
Terry Pratchett.