Jim Dulhunty (s3159706@student.anu.edu.au)
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 14:27:01 +1100

>> The biggest difference is I kludge in Ben Wright's guidlines for doing
>> Gundam in Mekton. Some MS stats are up on my page,
>> http://www.geocities.com/gwyon_bach/mecha.html, but it really is in need
>of
>
>Hmmm... damges and stuff aren't too different, like you said Ben's rules
>are the biggest difference, and I just don't use +MAs I think positive MA
>should be reserved for Newtype systems and the like since then the pilot
>can see the future, and take full advantage of a machine that responds as
>fast or faster than the pilot normally would.

Still not decided on that issue, and I don't have to deal with it yet,
since none of the 1YW MS have a positive MV (mag coated Gundam comes
closest with +0). However, Zeta and later it could be a problem.

>But if I just shift all your MAs over 2 or 3 points to the negative, then we
>are almost exactly the same. Also I have not added the Maneuver Pool
>ratings to my units, but should do so soon... since that makes ace pilots
>better in a better machine, and does that better than a reflexes cap does.

Funny you should mention that 'cause I'm using the old Jovian Chronicles
MV/MA table for 2nd UC MS; the MV there is two points lower.

>Also the difference in MA might easily be explained by the Zakus only
>weighing half their series weight on your page.. I tried to make the game
>weight match the series weight so later lightweight supermechs could be
>in the same game as old clunkers. Try my MV page out for an idea of
>where I rate mechs from various series, and remember I never give +MA
>so the Zeta Gundam at MV 0 is the fastest thing ever... same as a few
>of the GP series, and the Alex, but Alex and Zeta were built for Newtypes
>and will get +MA because of their newtype pilots ability.

The weight issue is one that has given me a bit of a headache. The easiest
way to make MS that match canonical weight is Ben wright's method, but I
feel this has a few problems, and the Macha Press way, which resluts in
lighter mechs, suits my style of GMing better. Along the way I came up
with a few possibilities - Weight Inefficency that mirrors Weight
Efficiency, doubling the weight of every servo & system - but evetually
decided to use two different weights - canonical and game. Canonical
weight effects knockback and such, while game weight only effects
construction (ie. MV, MA, the cost of thrusters).

Unfortunately, this isn't reflected in the Zaku stats on my site.

Since the Zakus were originally done as a baseline for aan envisaged
F90/F91 era game, there are still a few bugs to be figured out. Hopefully
they'll come out over the next few weeks as we play test them.

>In total I've used these references to come up with my game:
>
>Robyn Patterson's "Mobile Suit Mekton" (Mecha Press)
>Kevin Ogles - Gundam Mekton (I played in his game, got his mechs)
>Ben Wright's "Gundam Campaign Guide"
>Hobby Japan's - Gundam RPG
>ASCII Pub's - "Gundam Senki" for Mekton Zeta
>Mekton II - Shots that go through all torso kills force a powerplant roll
>Mekton Z - XS 5 for all Hot plants, all plants are hot.
> Characters are only 60 point, Gundam characters are realistic, not
>heroic.
>Modified - Plant Explosions do 2D6, and 1D6 kills depending on proximity.
>Cyberpunk - Allow 'snap shots' to increase initiative score, but lose
>accuracy.
>
>Paul

"Mobile Suit Mekton" & Ben Wright's guide are the basis I'm using. I
definitly agree with the Hot Powerplants. Hadn't thought about snap shot
though. Given the fragility of MSs, I do allow my players to buy of Kills
that go through Torso armour on a one for one basis. They still haven't
quite learned how fragile they are yet.

Jim