Lime (gbc76@dial.pipex.com)
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 08:10:03 +0100

> If some American animation company, let's say Pixar, bought rights to
Gundam
> and produced another Gundam series, as deep and realistic as the others,
and
> the only difference was American animation, production, design, etc., how
> many of you would disregard it?

The problem with saying 'If there was a US made Gundam as good as the
existing stuff' is that...
[Well being picky, in my case I'd have to discuss a UK made Gundam to cover
the same points... (presumably not-foreign vs foreign, right?)]
Yes, If such a thing happened I would watch it the same regardless.
[I mean, I could ask 'So, if the BBC somehow ended up with the rights to
make Star Trek and (miracle of miracles) managed to get a decent budget for
the thing. How many of you would disregard it?]

The real problem with that question though is that while UK sitcoms do well
in America and American sitcoms do well over here when either country tries
to produce a local version it either bombs or is so far removed from the
original that it's not the same show anymore.
And if that's true for two countries with (allegedly) so much in common, how
much more so would it be for the US and Japan?

Honto no watashi ga hirogaru