Mark Simmons (scorpio@best.com)
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 22:58:00 -0700

Matt Hanyok writes,

>Actually, I just checked on Gundam Project and they said it was cancelled
>midway through its "39-episode run" so I guess that means there were only
>intended to be 39 episodes. huh.

  No, I said it was moved to a new time slot midway through the run. It
ended with episode 39, which is distinctly early for a full-length series...

  As a rule of thumb, every full-length anime series is planned at 52
episodes - versus 13 or 26, for shorter series. (Trivia: Each block of 13
weeks, i.e three months, is called a "cours" - a term borrowed from the
French.) You usually lose a week here and there for new years', special
events, et cetera, so the actual total is more like 49 or 50.

  When a series gets cut to 39 episodes, that means the entire last
quarter of the plot has been axed... an ignominious fate that Space
Runaway Ideon, Gundam X, and SPT Layzner all suffered. (The original
Gundam series, famously, was cut to 39 episodes but then got a one-month
extension to clear up the loose ends of the plot.)

-- Mark