Josh CTC (dzorsch@hotmail.com)
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 21:46:16 PDT

I agree. While I may like a well done American Gundam, (or any other anime
for that matter) I just won't consider it Gundam. There's much more to Anime
than just the art style and the steotypical anime quirks. There is the way a
character is built, and you can't have that reproduced anywhere else, except
Japan. Not that I'm accusing anyone of incompetency, it's just that there's
a different sort of upbringing, cultural values and overall enviroment they
grew up with.
Take this example. A american version of Ranma would have them sitting
around the little table, eating their breakfast/lunch/dinner. While this
scene can be reproduced, I would say it would be different from the original
Ranma. The people who make the american version would have some idea as to
what it's about, eating, sitting around, and doing whatever, but if they
haven't done it all their lives, they cannot comprehend it as a facet of
life. Of course, that's just a very one sided opinion of it.
Anime is built from the lifestyles of the Japanese, something nobody but the
Japanese have experienced. If you watched Japanese TV dramas and movies,
you'll see a similar style to that of anime, in terms of narrative
direction, camera angles, speech patterns, etc.
It's not that I don't like American cartoons, or their way of life, but I
just think that this is more than a matter of producing a cartoon. If the
Americans do produce (or at least, try to) an anime, Gundam especially, they
will seriously mess it up. Every country has a culture, and a way of doing
things, so what should be done, is to leave the anime to the Japanese.
P.S. This is a very biased opinion, but I don't discriminate against either
sides. Should you say the Japanese producing a Spiderman sentai show, I
would put out the exact same opinions. Thank you for any flamy remarks that
might come my way in advance.