Echo|Fox (echofox@wingzero.net)
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 15:32:46 -0600 (MDT)

> But enough about my American animation rant. I think most American
> attempts to make products and or series based on anime end up being messed
> up, look at New Adventures of Speed Racer, and especially Voltron 3D. Plus,
> I'm not a big fan of Adam Warren's comic takes on Dirty Pair and Bubblegum
> Crisis .Then there are other foreign properties which got messed up, like
> Godzilla and the British show Doctor Who, which suffered from messed-up
> remakes.This actually works on both sides of the coin. Japan actually turned
> Spider-Man into a wacked-out Sentai show!American money can enter a
> project-take for example, Bubblegum Crisis 2040, Street Fighter Zero, Sin,
> or Sol Bianca 2, which have American money put into them, but

I'll have to disagree with you here. I exceedingly loved Grand Mal (Adam
Warren's take on BGC). I just read it last weekend, and as a long time BGC
fan, I felt it really captured the feeling that is bubblegum crisis. And
hell, tell me it wasn't cool seeing Priss as retro-thrash rather than glam
rock ("I'm not you're whore, I'm your angel of death!") ... not that I
have anything against glam rock, the original BGC OSTS's are among my top
10 favorite non-Yoko Kanno OST's.
I haven't had a chance to read his Dirty Pair books yet, but a friend of
mine has them all and says they're great, so I'm sure one of these days
I'll get around to reading them.

However, on the whole US influenced anime thing, I can agree with the
"sell out" aspect of it, but all it will take is one really well done US
anime-esque production to make me change my opinion. I'm sure it will
happen some day..