Mad Mike (mikechoi@pacbell.net)
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 18:42:05 -0700

Mark Simmons wrote:

> No idea. As has been pointed out, they all speak Japanese on-screen.
> Stencils, labels, and other decorative text is usually in English for the
> sake of coolness. Certainly everyone seems to speak the same language,
> although it's been established that native Zeons have a strong accent (see
> original Gundam) that can be mistaken for Australian (see Gundam 0080).

        G'day Bruce... 'Ow ya doin Bruce... You mind if we call ya
Bruce. :P?
        Jion, Jion was beery swine... :D

> The old MSV kit manuals claimed that Federation MS teams retained the
> five-unit formation used by fighters. This is echoed in the MG GM kit
> manual, and you can see space fighters flying in five-unit formations in the
> Giren's Greed cut scenes.

        Not smart. Not smart at all. The fifth man will be easily cut
apart.

> A solution seems at hand, though. I just noticed a page in Hobby Japan's
> Gundam RPG discussing Federation team structure. It claims that they started
> out borrowing the Zeon three-member structure, but soon switched to a
> four-unit team. (This allowed their mobile suits to stick together in pairs,
> so that they wouldn't be outnumbered by more experienced enemies, and one
> could watch the other in a buddy-system fashion.)

        Overwatch is your friend. Repeat this holy mantra :D. A two mech
element can lay down supressive fire as the lead elements can cross
several hundred yards of contested space (occupied by Space Nazis)
into
a better position and afterwards cover the traveling element as they
do
the same.
        Also four mechs can make for an impressive wedge, vee and echelon
left and right formation as well as being able to put a serious amount
of
raw kickass firepower when they're in a line. So long as on Earth
mobile
suits will have somewhat limited flight mobility (at least the
earlier One
Year War model so their battle drills may have more than a passing
familiarity to tanks)

> Nah, three mobile suits is the standard formation. Zeon mobile suit
> companies are supposed to consist of three teams - 9 mobile suits - but in
> practice they vary between 6 and 12 mobile suits. I also note that most
> mass-produced mobile suits, like the Desert Zaku and High Mobility Type Zaku
> II, are produced in multiples of 14... which suggests that they're
> outfitting companies of 12 mobile suits and throwing in two spares.

        It could be the two extra suits are for the company commander
and executive officer so the four three suit platoons can be further
subdivided into two demi type companies.
        Tactical forces tend to have their leadership up in the
front because it often gives them great flexibility when soemthing
goes wrong when executing any type of plan; the ability to cook
something on the spot counts far more than sitting on your duff
planning the most intricate of details. Being good at the right
time is always better than being brillant at a later date.

                                                        Mad Mike

--
"How lucky you English are to find the toilet so amusing. For us, it
is a mundane and