Chris Maier (oom9@crosswinds.net)
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 10:02:21 -0400

   Well, it's not like the criticisms of Pokemon can be transfered to Gundam. I mean, I don't think little kids can put together the kits-even I have a hard time!-and also, Gundam Wing hardly encourages gambling, cock-fighting, etc.
  If anything, the "Yaoi" thing will rear it's ugly head, and the news will catch up on it. But that can be easily countered- I mean, most of the G-boys have female companions that they obviously have affection for,(Heero/Relena, Duo/Hilde, Zechs/Noin, Trieze/Une, Wufei/his wife) although it's a little more complicated with Quatre and Trowa, since their closest female companions are their sisters(Unless you count Dorothy for Quatre).
   Also, the animation statement will rear it's ugly head. Gundam Wing's TV animation is'nt the best to come out of Japan; people will definetly find a need to criticize it, even though it's probably the best there is on TV at the moment(Compare GW to say "Lucky Lydia" or "Ed, Ed, and Eddy"). I swear, Cartoon Network must have a budget of $10). From what I've seen of the Pokemon 2000 reviews, people can't learn to respect cultural differences in animation style.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: ROBOTICK
  To: gundam@aeug.org
  Sent: Saturday, July 22, 2000 2:43 PM
  Subject: Re: [gundam] Will Gundam become the next fad?

  I, for one, hope that Gundam does not become a fad, because fads die. I fear that shows like Pokemon and have confirmed America's stereotypical views on anime, and that it too will begin to die out when people start getting sick of it. On the other hand, watching anime is like eating Swiss cheese; you either love it or hate it, and if you eat it regardless, you develop a taste for it eventually.