Peter Savin (bawoo@shiporama.org)
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 19:16:45 -0700

I've taken some time to examine the kit, this baby is really impressive.

The box is huge, about 2 times the size of the MG Zeta box (I think they
might have been able to cram this stuff in a ZZ sized box, though). I don't
know about anyone else, but sometimes I think the box is the best part of
the MG kits, it's big and colorful. It came with the 2000 Bandai Plastic
Models catalog which has lots of cool pix of various MG and HGUC models (the
HGUC GP-01 looks great!). The Sazabi section has a picture of a completed
Sazabi next to an RX-78-2, and Sazabi *dwarfs* the Gundam. The top of
Gundam's head doesn't even reach the pointy part of Sazabi's chest!
Wow....The catalog also has pics of the Dunbine stuff, which I don't really
care for.

But, you probably wanted to hear about the model. :) I don't know where to
start, really. The plastic is molded in a pretty dark red (much darker than
the orangish color of the finished model pics). The other sprues are molded
in very dark blue or gray, and there is one sprue of slightly
orangish/yellow parts (inlcluding the Zaku style cable parts and 2 tiny
Chars). BTW, the cables are done with a molded plastic center, no spring,
you just thread the 'beads' onto the plastic core, it seems. And of course,
there's a clear green sprue with the beam parts.

He comes with tons of equipment. The shield is about 8" long! The beam
tomahawk has a retracting handle so you can store it in the shield, and you
just swap out the blade parts. Plus you get the rifle, the funnels (which
are really cool, lotsa greebles in the housings), and 2 beam sabers! The
beam sabers are stored in the forearm for easy access. :)

Details details...lots of cool stuff. Most of the verniers have yellow
insert parts for better detail. The fingers are individually (2 joints
each, only one for the thumb). They look much better than the bulky Dom
hands, very nice. The elbows have some semi-working hydraulic things, and
the mechanism looks like it will be really neat. The leg armor comes off,
obviously, and there's a nicely detailed but not overly complex inner frame.
The construction actually looks surprisingly simple compared to the other MG
kits I have, it's not 'over-engineered' (I haven't built any yet,
actually...). The cockpit looks pretty accurate to me, there's a tiny pilot
in there, and a sphere shaped piece that fits over it. It creates the
illusion of the spherical cockpit pretty well, and I think you'll just be
able to see the little guy in there. The mechanism for raising the
forehead is a pretty cool double jointed deal, and the mono-eye moves from
side to side. The shield attaches to the arm with a big rectangular peg, so
I think it will hold up ok, but it doesn't rotate (it looks like there are 3
mounting points on each arm, but there is only one). Oh, someone wondered
the other day about the decal for the shield emblem, it's one big rub-on
transfer. Could be dangerous...well, it's actually not that big, so it
think it will be ok. For some reason they saw fit to use a chrome type
sticker for the yellow line on the lower part of the shield, which doesn't
seem to make any sense. That one goes in the trash. :)

Guess that's about it. Mmmmm, Sazabi. :)

Peter Savin
bawoo@shiporama.org