BlazeEagle@aol.com
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 07:21:30 EDT

In a message dated 7/21/00 7:06:03 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
ubik@austin.rr.com writes:

<< The crap about HLJ being cheaper on large orders is a load of just
 that, crap! In theory HLJ has good shipping prices on large orders,
 but it has been years since you have been able to get an entire large
 order shipped from HLJ. Back when HLJ had customer service, they
 would hold the parts of your order, then send you an email every
 month letting you know what was in stock, and once it all was in they
 would ship it to you. Since my average kit order is around $1,000,
 this would always work out to have a fairly low cost per unit, as far
 as splitting up shipping went. Unfortunately, as HLJ will openly tell
 you, they no longer hold items on order, so if you want to make sure
 you get something that is limited production, you have to put it on
 an order by itself, or tell them to ship whatever is in stock when
 the limited production item comes into stock. Otherwise the limited
 production item will slip right back out of stock before the rest of
 your items get in. As a result, it is almost impossible to get a
 large order filled all in one shipment, and then when you complain
 about the shipping cost on the multiple orders, HLJ tell you that you
 should have waited on more of your order to have come in before
 telling them to ship!>>

Yep, I totally agree with you, because I experienced the same thing. I was
told once I couldn't cancel an order. I pay by money order and wanted it
canceled a few days later (before I was able to send payment), because
shipping cost was horrible. I defended them a few times, but that was before
I experienced their current crappy service. I remember how good their service
WAS as well!

<< This is why I have completely given up on even worrying about
 shipping cost, and just go with the shop most likely to have the
 item, and most likely to get the item to me in a reasonable amount of
 time.>>

<< The problem with this is that it can really hurt the pocket book! For
 example I think my most expensive shipping cost for a single kit was
 $150! But that was for my second most expensive kit, a 1/220
 Dendrobium, and it got to me in 3 days. Let me tell you, when you
 spend that much on a 1/220 model, you want instant gratification. You
 don't want to wait around for a few months for it to show up. >>

I bet you do. I'm the same way. It takes them forever to add an item to an
order. It's been more then 3 weeks since I wanted something added to my order
and its still not! I just got fed up and told them to cancel the order, no
excuses. See, I was waiting for an updated payment request, so I could send
the money order in the updated amount, but I am tired of waiting. They need
to get some permanet/good extra help.