L. M. Lloyd (ubik@austin.rr.com)
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 06:08:22 -0500

The crap about HLJ being cheaper on large orders is a load of just
that, crap! In theory HLJ has good shipping prices on large orders,
but it has been years since you have been able to get an entire large
order shipped from HLJ. Back when HLJ had customer service, they
would hold the parts of your order, then send you an email every
month letting you know what was in stock, and once it all was in they
would ship it to you. Since my average kit order is around $1,000,
this would always work out to have a fairly low cost per unit, as far
as splitting up shipping went. Unfortunately, as HLJ will openly tell
you, they no longer hold items on order, so if you want to make sure
you get something that is limited production, you have to put it on
an order by itself, or tell them to ship whatever is in stock when
the limited production item comes into stock. Otherwise the limited
production item will slip right back out of stock before the rest of
your items get in. As a result, it is almost impossible to get a
large order filled all in one shipment, and then when you complain
about the shipping cost on the multiple orders, HLJ tell you that you
should have waited on more of your order to have come in before
telling them to ship!

This is why I have completely given up on even worrying about
shipping cost, and just go with the shop most likely to have the
item, and most likely to get the item to me in a reasonable amount of
time.

The problem with this is that it can really hurt the pocket book! For
example I think my most expensive shipping cost for a single kit was
$150! But that was for my second most expensive kit, a 1/220
Dendrobium, and it got to me in 3 days. Let me tell you, when you
spend that much on a 1/220 model, you want instant gratification. You
don't want to wait around for a few months for it to show up.