Roland Thigpen (jenius@unspacy.org)
20 Jul 2000 20:13:58 -0000

On Thu, 20 Jul 2000 15:57:20 EDT MS06ZAK@aol.com wrote:
>the second coming (or whatever you happen to believe in, not meaning to start
>any religious debates), or the human race is wiped out. For all of our
>existence, we have known nothing but conflict, have been raised in nothing
>but conflict, and thus, we wouldn't know what to do with ourselves without
>it. Peace and love are nice party lines, but you won't see us getting beyond
>the need for war for some time. The only thing that may change is the scale.
>The most the more peace minded of us can hope to do is downgrade the scope
>and tragedy of it, and try to keep anymore Holocausts from occuring.

>OK Treize. ;)
>
>Jason

What can I say? I happen to agree with him somewhat. I've never made a secret of that. It's simply a matter of were and what we let our natural agression out. Some of us fight against other people in physical violence. Some in intellectual debates or pursuits. Some in the workplace by getting promotions. Some in games of skill or chance. It's merely a matter of degree. Some against nature.

I don't believe that the human race will ever progress past the need to compete on some level with something (including itself). And I don't really see us progressing past the need for armed conflict. But as I've said before, that is just my opinion. I hope and pray it is otherwise, but I'm too much of a pessimest to truly think otherwise.

Roland