Roland Thigpen (jenius@unspacy.org)
20 Jul 2000 18:56:37 -0000

On Thu, 20 Jul 2000 11:05:19 -0700 Mark Simmons <scorpio@best.com> wrote:
>Hi gang,
>
> So, I'm preparing myself for the ordeal of synopsizing Gundam X. As a
>warmup, I re-read the BomBom comic adaptation, and I think I get what the
>infamous climactic revelation about newtypes is about.
>
> If any of you have seen the last couple of episodes and have any
>insights to share, or are just morbidly curious, then read on. It's
>actually a pretty good point, one that sums up the development of the
>concept in the UC saga quite accurately...
>
> [SPOILER SPACE]

> [END SPOILER SPACE]

*snip alot for brevity*

> In short, the concept of "newtypes" is an illusion. They have nothing
>to do with evolution, they're not more spiritually advanced, they're not
>the harbingers of a new stage in human development. They're simply random
>freaks with special powers.
>My thoughts: Well, that actually makes a lot of sense. The point isn't
>that newtype powers don't exist - these abilities are amply demonstrated
>in Gundam X, and in the UC saga as a whole - but that they've been
>misinterpreted. At the end of original Gundam, it looked like Daikun's
>thesis might pan out, that people like Amuro and Lalah might be the first
>of a new breed of humanity who can evolve beyond war and hatred. But
>nobody could say that with a straight face after watching Z, ZZ, CCA...
>
>-- Mark

Hee. Well, that pretty much matches what I've thought for a while. Actually, they may in fact not be just freaks, but the actual next stage in human development, but in no way are they the stage were we evolve beyond war and hatred. Otherwise, none of them would fight, and we most certainly wouldn't have CCA. Just because humanity reaches the next stage of development doesn't mean everyone would be luvy-duvy. That is a weak way of thinking. It's like saying that just because someone could build something of high enough tech, they wouldn't feel the need to make war.

Yeah, right.

Humanity will always be a race that craves conflict, unless and until we have the second coming (or whatever you happen to believe in, not meaning to start any religious debates), or the human race is wiped out. For all of our existence, we have known nothing but conflict, have been raised in nothing but conflict, and thus, we wouldn't know what to do with ourselves without it. Peace and love are nice party lines, but you won't see us getting beyond the need for war for some time. The only thing that may change is the scale. The most the more peace minded of us can hope to do is downgrade the scope and tragedy of it, and try to keep anymore Holocausts from occuring.

Roland