Wed, 19 Jul 2000 05:10:37 -0700 (PDT)

--- Emery Calame <palaeomerus@excite.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Jul 2000 13:53:09 -0600 (MDT),
> gundam@aeug.org wrote:
>
> > Here's something that should prove interesting.
> What mass produced mobile
> > suit was the most effective in its time?

In its time? The Zaku, the Doms, the Leo and the
Virgo.

> > For example, we can say the Leo is one of the
> most highly ineffectual
> MS's
> > ever concieved, since its tactics seem to involve
> standing still and
> > firing until it gets hit by random fire. By AC
> rules, no number of Leo's
> > could ever bring down a Gundam.

but when hostaging colonies, guarding bases and
assaulting towns, the Leos have more or less done
thier work well. not to mention the versatility given
by modules.
That is of course, in its time. then the colonies
began Operation Meteo/r, that's when the gundams made
them obsolete. They were still useful in Operation
Daybreak though

> Ummmm. Zech's took out the Wing Gundam(not Zero) in
> a Leo wouldn't you say?
> Hiro was ready to commmit suicide over it as I
> recall...
> Now Zech's used some odd tactics but still.... In
> the right hands a Leo is
> not a laughing matter.

also, check Heero's moves with the space leo against
Wufei in the Nataku (endless waltz), or Trowa when he
was stil nameless (Episode Zero).

> > If we take the Zaku II from MSG, we could say it
> was quite effective,
> > against both GM's and given suitable numbers,
> could take out a Gundam.

Unlike the Leo, the Zaku actually recieved upgrades
(instead of lame modules for the Leos). You can
customize a Zaku for space, urban, forest, desert etc.
Plus they get more weapons.

> > Furthermore, we can also talk about the ReGZ,
> which was technically mass
> > produced, but I wouldn't consider it to be as
> effective as others (as
> > compared to other suits in its time period,
> remember)
>
> Yeah ReGZ is tricky. The Ms-007 mass production Zeta
> is another matter of
> some considerable mystery.

For it's time? wasn't it too expensive to be mass
produced in the same numbers as the Zaku?

> > Only other rule I'll impose is that it must have
> actually gone into
> > production, cannot be a prototype, and cannot be
> in the hands of a
> newtype
> > ... we're talking about your every day joe's MS
> here.

Virgos were actually useful in thier era, deployed in
massive remote controlled numbers that allowed them to
be sent in hard to take down squads with more waiting
to replace those that were blown up.

> I'll vote for the Dom/Rick Dom/Dowadge. It lasted
> into ZZ and was very much
> an easy to reconfigure suit with common parts and a
> lot of wallop. It
> outlasted the Archduchy so it couldn't have been all
> that bad.

not to mention that it was a considerable improvment
over the Zaku.

Just wondering, are we going to consider the numbers
deployed, purpose, efficiency, etc. or just stats?

Here's a nice question to follow it up with, what is
the most effective MS army?