Chris Beilby (cbeilby@hotmail.com)
Tue, 18 Jul 2000 21:38:32 GMT

>Here's something that should prove interesting. What mass produced mobile
>suit was the most effective in its time? Obviously everything is going
>to be relative, since comparing the GM to the GunEZ isn't fair, so this
>isn't your typical "which Gundam is strongest" question. I guess we need
>to ask which MS did its job the best during the time it was in service.
>For example, we can say the Leo is one of the most highly ineffectual MS's
>ever concieved, since its tactics seem to involve standing still and
>firing until it gets hit by random fire. By AC rules, no number of Leo's
>could ever bring down a Gundam.
>If we take the Zaku II from MSG, we could say it was quite effective,
>against both GM's and given suitable numbers, could take out a Gundam.
>Furthermore, we can also talk about the ReGZ, which was technically mass
>produced, but I wouldn't consider it to be as effective as others (as
>compared to other suits in its time period, remember)
>
>Only other rule I'll impose is that it must have actually gone into
>production, cannot be a prototype, and cannot be in the hands of a newtype
>... we're talking about your every day joe's MS here.

Well, based on service record more than anything else, I'd have to say the
GM and it's variants. From entering service in 0079, the GM and it's
variants saw service almost constantly up until UC 123 (The Jegan was still
in service with the EFSF as late as the Crossbone Vanguard conflict, 30+
years after entering service.) For a single class of weapon to have a
service record of nearly half a century (longer if you also include the GM
counterparts from the F91 and V-Gundam eras, but I consider these to be
closer to actual new designs) is almost unheard of. (The only real world
military equipment that I can think of as having a similar operational
lifetime are some Soviet tanks, the Jeep, and the B-52 bomber.)