Mark Simmons (scorpio@best.com)
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 21:02:06 -0700

Jim Dulhunty asks,

>Does anyone know when the following MS came into service:

  Various accounts here - Hobby Japan's Gundam RPG, for one, cites some
implausibly early introduction dates. Here's my two cents...

>MS-06J

  Since the J type is the terrestrial twin of the F type, it was probably
introduced around the same time, i.e. circa February 0079. The classic
MSV books claim that the first couple of drop operations were mostly done
using F type Zakus, and that the J type didn't really enter combat until
the third such operation, on March 18.

>MS-06D
>MS-06K

  Some recent publications claim that these were introduced circa May
0079, though this doesn't mesh with the classic MSV books & kit manuals,
which indicate that these Zaku variants drew on Gouf technology (i.e. for
the leg thrusters) and that the K type was based on reports of the
Federation's Guncannon. In particular, the old MSV books indicate that
the Zaku Cannon didn't enter battle until at least October 0079.

>MS-07B (or any Gouf for that matter)

  The MSV books claim that some MS-07A units (the early model, sans
built-in weapons) participated in the third drop operation. But still,
Ranba Ral's Gouf is supposed to predate the mass-produced version, and
he's still using it in early October. I'd say that mass-production of the
Gouf might have started as late as August or September.

>RGM-79[E]
>RGM-79[G]

  The RX-79 test units were created starting in July 0079; these test GMs
would have come along a bit later. Since Sanders is still testing the [E]
type in early October, I'd say that they were probably produced in September.

-- Mark