Mark Simmons (scorpio@best.com)
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 14:49:51 -0700

Echo|Fox asks,

>In my description of the Gundams themselves, I referred to Wing's gundam's
>as nigh-invincible super hero mecha who only got damaged when the plot
>called for an upgrade, versus the Gundams in UC, which were prototypes and
>testbeds for mass produced suits.

  Except in 0083, where the Gundams are nigh-invincible superhero mecha
that only get damaged when the plot calls for an upgrade. ;-)

> He understood that, but he wanted to
>know why they made Gundams out of Gundarium, which was too costly for use
>in mass produced units.

  When the original RX prototypes were made, the plan was to build _all_
Federation mobile suits out of Luna Titanium (aka Gundarium). This was
one of the features that was cut from the final mass-produced mobile
suits for cost & time reasons. In Z Gundam, the prototype Gundam Mark II
is made of regular titanium-ceramic composite, since by this point they
know they won't be able to afford Luna Titanium in the mass-produced version.

  But meanwhile, the AEUG has gotten its hands on the recipe for the
improved Gundarium Gamma (originally developed at Axis), which is either
easier to produce or just so awesome that it's worth the extra
investment. After that, pretty much every mobile suit is made of
Gundarium unless the designers are really being budget-conscious (as with
the Jegan and Geara Doga).

-- Mark