Roland Thigpen (jenius@unspacy.org)
13 Jul 2000 20:52:12 -0000

On Thu, 13 Jul 2000 20:28:59 GMT Henry Bigone <slickwillie1998@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Thank you for the answers to last question. I have a few more:

> 10)I have heard of something called Superdimentional Fortress Macross.
>Was this a good show? Was its sequals any good? Also, were the shows
>Superdimentional Calvary Southern Cross, MOSPEDA and Patlabour any good?

Ok, I'm not Mark, so I'll leave the rest to him or others, but this one....

You've never seen Macross? HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?!?!?!?!? How about Robotech? The original Macross made up the first third of that series, and alot of the material remained the same, although there are several glaring descrepencies (no protoculture as fuel, no Robotech Masters, some other stuff).

Sorry, it's just hard for me to believe that someone has not seen this series, or at least the Robotech version of it. It was a great space opera with a compelling storyline and great characters and music (even if the Robotech versions sucked horribly).

As for sequals, in chronological order, there is Macross Flashback 2012 (a series of music videos that tell what happens to many of the main characters just after the end of the original series), Macross Plus (a 4 ep OVA series that you can get on 2 DVDs, brilliant animation, good music, and a good storyline, with a dogfight or two not to be missed), Macross Plus: the Movie Edition (a movie version of the OVA, with some changes and additions to the original), the Macross 7 tv series (which many don't like, but I do. If you don't like the idea of variable fighters being piloted by guitar, don't watch, but if you can get past that, it is a very good series with some jamming music), Macross 7: The Galaxy is Calling Me! the movie short (a short, 30 minute or so movie that was shown with the Macross Plus movie) and finally the Macross 7/Dynamite 7 OVA (imagine Moby Dick set to the Macross universe).

Also included are the movie Macross: Do You Remember Love? (a movie version of the original series that makes series changes to it, but is beautifully animated, even more so than Macross Plus or CCA IMHO. The anime that got me into anime. Also, interesting note: DYRL? is part of the official Macross timeline as a documentary/drama style movie made after the end of Space War 1), and Macross II:Lovers Again (an OVA and movie compilation of the OVA, which was supposed to be the sequel to the original, but was not done by the same people and was not well received by fans, relegating it to more of an alternate reality story. Still, the music was good, as was the animation and the mecha. The music was also considered good enough to be used in Macross 7 by Sound Force).

Super Dimensional Cavalry Southern Cross was a pretty good series and the footage was used as the second part of Robotech. MOSPEADA was also a good story, and was used as the third part of Robotech.

Patlabor had at least a tv series (which I haven't seen) and 2 movies (which I have both). The main characters are police officers that pilot robots armed with appropriately sized revolvers. Very good plots, and fair animation.

To me, you really haven't seen anime until you've seen Macross at least.

>I am once again thankful for all of the help. Sorry if I am bothering you
>all, I do not mean to!

Hope this helps some.

Roland (still shaking his head over someone who hasn't seen Macross)