-Z- (z@gundam.com)
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 17:57:40 -0700

Chris Maier
>Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2000 20:55
>To: gundam@aeug.org
>Subject: [gundam] Best Retcon design
>
>What do people think the best retcon design makeovers are?
>I'm personally a big fan of the Hygog, they took a really ugly,
>fat MS and slimmed it down to something real cool and agile.
>It's pretty much seeing that design firing a missile in a preview
>for 0080 on a Cowboy Bebop tape that got me thinking "I've got to
>check this Gundam thing out!"

I like both the MSM-03/C Hygog and the MSM-07E Z'Gok retcons, which took clunky
and somewhat comical MS and made them both believable and truly menacing. But
my favorite 0080 retcon would have to be the RX-78 NT-1 Gundam, which neatly
captures the "transitional form" between the original Gundam and the Mark-II.
And my second favorite is the RX-77D Mass Production Guncannon, which
unfortunately never made it into the model line-up. Third would be the RGM-79G
GM Commando, with its clear "glass" goggle and spiffy charcoal and tan color
scheme.

My all time favorite retcon never made it to the screen, alas. It's the retcon
of the MA-04X Zakrello that appears among the "Zeon secret weapons" in the MS
Era book. Here, it's all chrome with three-dimensional shark teeth and lambent
red eyes -- the ultimate recast of a joke of an MA into something genuinely
scary.

The original book is rare now: MS Era: Mobile Suit Gundam 0001-0080 (1990,
Bandai, ISBN4-89189-474-1). You may luck out, as I did, I find it up for
auction somewhere.

It was recently reprinted, though, so get 'em while they last: MS Era 0099:
Mobile Suit Gundam 0001-0080 (1999, Mediaworks, ISBN4-8402-1233-3) 3500

-Z-