ROBOTICK (jercar@aristotle.net)
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 15:51:15 -0500

That's not Cartoon Network's style. They'll give you a good teaser, but
won't risk losing any of their audience with an introductory course. I
asked them to show one for Gundam Wing long before it started because I
thought that people would get lost and it would bomb, but look how
successful it's been. I don't even think the commercial is necessary.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Echo|Fox" <echofox@wingzero.net>
To: <gundam@aeug.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2000 2:13 PM
Subject: Re: [gundam] Marketting MSG on Cartoon Network

No, I knew this would happen, and shame on me for not sitting down and
actually counting. I just made up the numbers since they were
approximately right. Sorta. Kinda =)
I promise never to do it again :P

Now, regarding the length of it, I think it would need to be done in a
couple of ways. It might be interesting to see, say, a 30 minute long
crash course in UC Gundam. Explain the history up to the start of MSG,
explain who the sides in the conflict are, show the characters, and show
the early mobile suits. Part documentary, part storytelling, I guess.
Combine this with 30 and 60 second commercial spots focussing on different
aspects of the show, as you stated below. You could build up a fair bit of
hype by doing it as I previously described but with only a few visuals,
and a strongly acted voiceover. A week later, start it with the images and
video footage to expand on it. Hype is good =)
As Brian Burke reiterated, our best hope lies in stressing the fact that
its a modern classic, and the fact that there is more to come. My gut
tells me Bandai is going to do something similar to this, since it's their
best hope. If they were to stick with alternate universe stories, they
only have 3 left, and after that, introducing UC would be much, much
harder. By starting with MSG, they've already got a huge stash of
merchandise (MSiA, wallscrolls, t-shirts, model kits, et all) that they
can immediately repackage and sell over here. Since they make their money
from merchandising ... this is a good thing, I guess =) Gundam means more
than that to most of us, but it does come down to dollars and cents.
They're going to need some definite coordination to pull everything off.
They need the merchandise in stores before it starts airing, unlike the
trickle of Wing kits into stores, they need good promotion of the TV
series as well as the merchandise (you'd better believe that if the toys
sell like crap, they'll pull the plug), and they definately need to keep
hitting people over the head with the fact that there are is a LOT more
gundam coming =)

---
Nicholas "Echo|Fox" Paufler