ROBOTICK (jercar@aristotle.net)
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 22:33:19 -0500

Thanks, Roland Thigpen. Now, I know more than I will ever want to about the
whole situation. I can't wait to see the UC series' now. Which ones are
they? (Or, where exactly can I find that info?)
----- Original Message -----
From: "Roland Thigpen" <jenius@unspacy.org>
To: <gundam@aeug.org>
Sent: Monday, July 10, 2000 10:23 PM
Subject: Re: [gundam] Controls/Newtype abilities

On Mon, 10 Jul 2000 21:57:22 -0500 ROBOTICK <jercar@aristotle.net> wrote:
>So, explain the difference between Universal Century and After Colony
>stories. Are they in alternate universes or different in every aspect
>except for the discovery of Gundanium and the using it for building Mobile
>Suits?

Alternate Universe stories (G Gundam, Gundam Wing, Gundam X) are all set in
different universes, or rather were before Tomino did Turn A which in some
ways seems to try to join them into one universe. In Wing, the Gundam is
seen more as a "superhero", with abilities FAR beyond the normal suit. This
is also true to some extent in G Gundam, but as there aren't really any
other MSs other than Gundams in that, it's hard to judge. Still, they both
treat the Gundam as an "ubermecha" to a far greater extent than in UC or
even X.

In Gundam X, you have the Gundam more like it was in the UC timeline, a
state of the art military machine, but still a war machine for all that,
easily able to be destroyed. Only the skill and luck of the pilot really
prevents its destruction once the enemy has developed to proper weapons to
get around its armor. However, in some ways, the Gundam is still a superhero
mecha.

Universal Century stories are supposed to be more true to life, gritty, real
world type war stories. Stories that show the horrors and tragedies of war.
As it came in near the so-called end of the giant robot era, it pretty much
had to have a single signature mecha that the hero piloted and that defined
the show as being of the mecha genre. Even with this though, the Gundam is
fairly easily damaged or destroyed when the enemy is given the proper
weapon.

If you'll notice, in Wing and X if you've seen any of that (I can't say
anything about G, having seen none of the series), nothing truly horrible
happens to the main characters, relationship wise, other than Relena's
adopted father's death. While they do discuss the horrors of war to some
extent (people die, machines and cities are destroyed), it is, in a way,
sugar coated by the Gundam superheroes. You rarely see the war's affects on
the common citizen, nor do the main characters seem truly affected by it.

In UC, you will have main characters killed off, and children slaughtered
before your eyes. Entire colonies are gased or nuked with their populations
still inside, and Earth is bombarded by colonies and asteroids. The soldiers
on either side (those that are developed through the story) are changed by
the war. The war is made real. In essence, I guess what I'm saying is that
Wing and X are action shows, in some ways almost soap operas, UC Gundam is
drama...a true to life war drama.

I'm not sure if I putting it well enough. If not ask for clairification and
I'll try to think of something.

Roland