Roland Thigpen (jenius@unspacy.org)
11 Jul 2000 03:23:21 -0000

On Mon, 10 Jul 2000 21:57:22 -0500 ROBOTICK <jercar@aristotle.net> wrote:
>So, explain the difference between Universal Century and After Colony
>stories. Are they in alternate universes or different in every aspect
>except for the discovery of Gundanium and the using it for building Mobile
>Suits?

Alternate Universe stories (G Gundam, Gundam Wing, Gundam X) are all set in different universes, or rather were before Tomino did Turn A which in some ways seems to try to join them into one universe. In Wing, the Gundam is seen more as a "superhero", with abilities FAR beyond the normal suit. This is also true to some extent in G Gundam, but as there aren't really any other MSs other than Gundams in that, it's hard to judge. Still, they both treat the Gundam as an "ubermecha" to a far greater extent than in UC or even X.

In Gundam X, you have the Gundam more like it was in the UC timeline, a state of the art military machine, but still a war machine for all that, easily able to be destroyed. Only the skill and luck of the pilot really prevents its destruction once the enemy has developed to proper weapons to get around its armor. However, in some ways, the Gundam is still a superhero mecha.

Universal Century stories are supposed to be more true to life, gritty, real world type war stories. Stories that show the horrors and tragedies of war. As it came in near the so-called end of the giant robot era, it pretty much had to have a single signature mecha that the hero piloted and that defined the show as being of the mecha genre. Even with this though, the Gundam is fairly easily damaged or destroyed when the enemy is given the proper weapon.

If you'll notice, in Wing and X if you've seen any of that (I can't say anything about G, having seen none of the series), nothing truly horrible happens to the main characters, relationship wise, other than Relena's adopted father's death. While they do discuss the horrors of war to some extent (people die, machines and cities are destroyed), it is, in a way, sugar coated by the Gundam superheroes. You rarely see the war's affects on the common citizen, nor do the main characters seem truly affected by it.

In UC, you will have main characters killed off, and children slaughtered before your eyes. Entire colonies are gased or nuked with their populations still inside, and Earth is bombarded by colonies and asteroids. The soldiers on either side (those that are developed through the story) are changed by the war. The war is made real. In essence, I guess what I'm saying is that Wing and X are action shows, in some ways almost soap operas, UC Gundam is drama...a true to life war drama.

I'm not sure if I putting it well enough. If not ask for clairification and I'll try to think of something.

Roland