Char Aznable (charaznable@excite.com)
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 18:27:39 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 10 Jul 2000 15:44:32 -0700 (PDT), gundam@aeug.org wrote:

> Dear List:
>
> I was cleaning up my room yesterday and found one of those special
limited
> edition Gundam DeathScythe model kit in chrome metallic colors. I've
foolishly
> bought this HG kit from Hong Kong for about $25 U.S. because it's
supposed to
> be a "collector's" item. I ended up being extremely disappointed by this
kit:-

I have this kit and I LOVE it!!!
and we're lucky here in the Philippines that this kit was released here

> First of all, when I place it next to my other MG kits, the Death Scythe
is
> visibly shorter even if it's also supposed to be 1:100. Is this true for
all
> Wing kits? The 1:100 Wing kits are all shorter than the 1:100 MG kits?

the "actual" height of Wing suits is about 16-17 meters, while the Nu is
slightly below 23, the Zeta is 21 and the RX-78 is slightly above 18. since
it's in scale, it is supposed to be smaller, 1:100 meaning that one meter of
the actual height is converted into one centimeter

> Second, the Scythe blade is Metallic Green on one side while Silver on
the
> other!! What kind of stupid color scheme is that? Painting is out of
question
> because painting over model defeats the purpose of having the metallic
kit.

buy metallic paint to paint on one side
what they did here is get the same 1:100 D-Hell Custom kit and chrome paint
it, unfortunately for us they painted only one side, which means in most
parts that side is hidden except for the beam blade

> Lastly, it's impossible to smooth the parts with sandpaper, making the
parts
> that are cut from the "tree" stick out like a sore thumb.

true, that's the drawback with these metallic kits. if you can find
metallic paint, just buy the ordinary kits then paint them. otherwise we'd
have to live with those edges sticking out

> Because of this, I never bought another HG kit or metallic kit. Do any
of you
> out there have any positive experience with metallic kits? I'd love to
know of
> any suggestions/opinions especially regarding my last point because I've
been
> itching to buy some metallic MG kits since I'm about to finish building
all my
> unbuilt kits, so it's time to buy more... I really dislike crystal kits
and
> have most of the other normal MG kits. 8)

HG kits are good, just don't compare them to MG kits, the difference is not
only in detail but in overall quality as well. if you're on a tight budget
or want to really get creative, go HG, since they cost less and you wouldn't
think twice about experimenting on them. but recent HGs have really good
quality, in fact they have near MG quality, like the HG-UC line