Mark Simmons (scorpio@best.com)
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 00:47:26 -0700

Burke wonders,

>Data Collection 2 lists the armor for the Gogg, Acguy,
>(both?) Z'Goks and the Zock as being superhigh-tensile steel. However,
>Gundam Episode Guide 1 shows the armor for the Gogg, (both?) Z'Goks and the
>Zock as being titanium/ceramic composite, don't know what it says the Acguy
>has, sense the publisher made a big boo-boo and copied the GM's specs into
>the Acguy's space without editing them. :)

  Man, I'd consider One Year War armor types to be a complete mystery.
The RX prototypes are made of Luna Titanium, the Zaku II of super
high-tensile steel... otherwise there's no consensus.

  As I've proposed before, it seems pretty clear that the original GM
(for one) wasn't supposed to be made of titanium/ceramic composite; one
of the major changes in the GM II was supposed to be a change of armor
materials, ergo they shouldn't be made of the exact same stuff. Looking
at the specs of the throwback mobile suits in Z and ZZ, you'll note that
most are made of plain titanium alloy, sometimes with the addition of
Gundarium pieces... e.g. the Galbaldy Beta, Zaku Mariner, Dowadge, and GM
III. It seems to me that, at that point, the Sunrise folks doing the
specs intended for the One Year War vintage mobile suits to be made of
titanium alloy.

  However, for the most part, third-party publishers have either guessed
titanium/ceramic composite across the board, or assumed all Zeon moble
suits use steel like the Zaku II. (And the official specs for 08th MS
Team have almost everything - Goufs included! - made of Luna Titanium.)
I'd have to dig through a lot of books to present a comprehensive survey,
but the short answer is there's no consistency, rhyme, or reason to their
speculation. I have my own theory, but evidently so does everyone else.

-- Mark