Mark Simmons (scorpio@best.com)
Sat, 8 Jul 2000 14:29:11 -0700

Burke asks,

>1. The Zaku I's full weight... Gundam Mechanics 1 says 65.0 tons (the only
>place I can find this number), Data Collection 9 says the 08th MS Team
>version used by Topp is 65.5 tons (although this seems to be the ONLY
>difference in the specs). Is one of these numbers wrong, or is there really
>a difference?

  I think 65.5 tons must be a typo. Topp's Zaku is usually spec'd out
just like the normal version.

>2. What's this version of the Zaku I from 08th MS Team that's carrying a
>gun mounting what looks like 2 sturm fausts? (This is the one I currently
>show on Mecha Domain, though it's obviously NOT the model Topp drives.) I
>can't read much Japanese, but is that gun supposed to be a launcher for G3
>gas, with the "sturm fausts" actually being gas canisters?

  Exactly. It's seen in a flashback in, I think, episode 7, attacking one
of the Side 2 colonies while Shiro looks on in horror. Note the
fingerless "mittens", too. (Supposedly much of the grunt work of the
early weeks of the war - gassing colonies, attaching engines to colonies,
et cetera - was performed by Old Type Zakus.)

>3. In Data Collection 9 we also see the Black Trinary version of the Zaku I
>on page 5. Does this actually make an appearance in 08MST?

  Nah. They just threw it in there because the kit had just been released
- note that it uses the MG kit line art.

>4. Why do most specs I find for the Zaku I say it carries a 105mm
>machinegun, when in fact when we DO see it carrying a machinegun, it's
>always the Zaku II-type 120mm? Is the machinegun from the MG kit with the
>ammo drum mounted on the side instead of the top supposed to be the 105mm?

  Right again. I can only think of four appearances of the Zaku I in the
animation - Topp's, the gas launcher-equipped one from Shiro's flashback,
Gadem's unarmed one from original Gundam, and the one glimpsed at A Bao A
Qu in Gundam III. Don't recall what kind of gun that last one was using,
though. At any rate, the 105mm, side-mounted-magazine version is supposed
to be the standard weapon.

-- Mark