James Boren (jboren@earthlink.net)
Mon, 3 Jul 2000 22:14:59 -0800

This post coincides with some of what I've been thinking lately. I
think there are a lot of similarities between the OYW and WWI.

Zeon's resemblence to Imperial Germany (WWI)

1. nation led by royalty, Kaiser Willhelm and Archduke Degin
2. The Zabis were the top generals, and in IG (imperial germany) some
armies were still being led by princes and barons.

MS combat resemblence to WWI airwar

1. The pattern of battle for MS echos that of WWI. Units would try to
get the jump on opponents by making a high speed dash (out of the
sun). If you didn't get the enemy on that pass, battle turned into a
close-in engagement. In WWII the pattern was to keep your airspeed up
and go around for another pass. MS battles more closely resemble the
dog fighting of WWI. Go in fast, blasting away. If you miss, then
pull out the beam saber, or heat hawk and get personal.

2. ace-specialized craft, and a willingness to build low production
runs of craft. (Heavy bombers in WWI were rarely built in more than
say 10 or 20 per design) In addition, prototypes, and one-offs were
commonly sent out into battle.

3. Mobile suits were a new weapon used in war, just as Aircraft in WWI

-Jboren