Mon, 3 Jul 2000 20:30:48 -0700 (PDT)

Someone wrote:
> >- My rant of people who like Gundam's story and
> wish the mecha did not
> >exist -
> >Mecha battles are part of Gundam. What gets me,
> some people like Gundam,
> >but
> >dislike the mecha. Disliking mecha is fine, but
> some wish Gundam did not
> >have
> >mecha at all. Gundam is in the mecha genre, mecha
> battles are part of this
> >genre. Gundam wouldn't be Gundam without mecha. If
> 0080 didn't have any
> >mecha, it wouldn't sale as a Gundam show. You can
> like it or not, but mecha
> >are part of Gundam. All of Bandai's kits/toys of
> Gundam mecha proves this.
> >If
> >people didn't want mecha, these toys/kits would rot
> in the stores.
> >
> >If someone doesn't like mecha, but likes Gundam's
> story that's fine, just
> >don't bash them. This is not really directed at
> you, I just remembered how
> >someone liked Gundam's story, but wish it didn't
> have mecha! When one
> >watches a given Gundam anime, mecha battles are a
> given and if some doesn't
> >like mecha, but likes the story, they need to
> accept the fact that mecha
> >battles will be in there or don't watch Gundam if
> the mecha interferes with
> >one's enjoyment of the show. Its like when some
> only watch GW for the
> >"cute"
> >guys and moan about the mecha. Gundam is a mecha
> show, no matter your view.
> >don't know the exact words, but Gundam was created
> back in 1979 to make
> >mecha
> >shows more realistic, as all that existed was Super
> robot shows.
> >Gundam is a mecha. Gundam is not Gundam without
> mecha, its part of Gundam.
> >Besides, the title has the main mecha's name in it,
> Gundam. I am not
> >talking
> >about you or anyone here as far as I know, it was
> in a Newsgroup.
> >
> >Rant over, sorry for that rant :) I just had to get
> that off my chest.

Someone Answered:
> Try telling that to Yoshiyuki Tomino. It's fairly
> well known that he hates
> Mecha, and only included them in Gundam because the
> sponsors and studio
> insisted.

I have to ask:
What? He did? Thats a really ironic twist. But if
Tomino didn't want mechs, what was the original story
about? Then again, it is possible to have Daikun wage
the war and take out Dr. Minovsky's research (hence
removing the mobile suits). But that is as far as it
would be similar to the Gundam that was shown, what
would have happened might be different story.

The eternal string of ifs..