Vladimir Len (vjlen@mindspring.com)
Mon, 3 Jul 2000 21:23:02 -0500

Anyone have Entertainment Bible #39 (which is a history of the One Year
War)?

The last chapter covers "aces" of the One Year War, with small bios of the
top pilots.
If I read it correctly, our best known characters were not the top pilot
"aces" of the OYW. Amuro Rei was second for the Federation, credited with
142 MS kills and (9 capital ships?) I don't even see Char Aznable in the top
8 for the Jion... am I reading this correctly (page 137)?

- Vlad

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gundam@ml.aeug.org [mailto:owner-gundam@ml.aeug.org]On
Behalf Of Leslie_Rashana
Sent: Monday, July 03, 2000 9:07 PM
To: Gundam
Subject: [gundam] Ace of Aces?

just kinda started thinking.. in WW I and WWII the 'Ace' pilots were
most often piltos with anywyere from dozens to hundreds of kills to
thier credit.. in the korean conflict and vietnam these numbers were
reduced to maybe half a dozen give or take.. in desert Storm i don't
remember anyone becoming an 'Ace' (minimum of 5 air-to-air victories)
now in gundam we see some of the rally good pilots.. the aces if you
will .. easily getting that many kills if not more in a single engagment
(the so called "Ace-in-a-day") keeping in mind that combat in mobile
suits is usually restricted t (relativly) close range and line-of-site,
much like it was in the world wars could ther not be some connectoin to
this style of combat and the unusually high kill levles compared to the
jet age with it's radar-guidied missiels and Mach 2 speeds? speaking of
aces has anyone ever noticed the incidental hommage ot legendary WWI
German ace the Bron von Richtoven in the callsigns of the two
(arguabley) most famous enemy aces in all of Gundam and it's alternate
universes? Char Aznable, the RED Comet and Zechs Marquise, the
Lightning BARON? of course to my eyes both enemy states of Zeon and OZ
bare at least superficial resemblance to a militiraistic Germany (Zeon
seems to represent 1940s-50s Nazi Germany, especially under Giren's
guidance while OZ/Romefeller seems ot be mour like earlier Teutonic
Germany, perhaps around WWI)

--Lelsie

--
                                  -Balki Bartokamouse