-V- (vsze@wwdg.com)
Mon, 3 Jul 2000 01:39:08 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brandon Perlow" <nurbs@pacbell.net>
To: <gundam@aeug.org>
Sent: Monday, July 03, 2000 12:32 AM
Subject: Re: [gundam] Gundam 0080 unpopular? And Trivial operation

> Spoiler space for those who havent seen 0080
>

> 1
>
> 2
>
> 3
>
> 4
>
> 5
>

> 6
>

> 7
>

> 8
>
> 9
>

> I have to disagree with you on this one.. I think in terms of story and
the
> ending it was great.. I think the point was to feel for Bernie. It was
> meant to end tragically.. I think if this was done here, We would see
Bernie and
> Chris not fight, and just skip town.... Its definately a very "japanese"
ending.
> The reason I say this, is that I heard that in the japanese literature,
its
> preferable to have a sad ending where the hero/heroine never lives to be
happy
> with their love than to have the happy ending.. Maybe some JapaneseGMLrs
can
> give me more info.... I think it may explain endings to series we know and
love,
> and wondered "What the $%$!!!???" did it have to end that way...

erhmm. well, there are alot of traditional japanese stories like that (maybe
stuff like taketori monogatari (not Sennen Jyouou for those anime inclined,
i'm talking about the REAL thing)... but that was more romantic. There
are tons of those novels about Shinsengumi and how tragically they die and
stuff too... but the whole tragedy thing in film got played up using more
Shakespeare referrence in kurosawa films way back then... for my share of
american film experiences, the closest thing I could think of is Terminator
2 where the ending was SOMEWHAT similar (please do not go into detail
pointing out their differences...). But overall, 0080 was good, imho,
mainly because there wasn't that many MS fights. In fact, while watching
the show, I kinda wanted to forget about the MS and just see how the story
unfolds. The ending was very tragic, yes, but the whole point of the
project was to make people realize how life and death are so fragile and how
war makes human lives just like ants. However, each life is precious to the
people around them.

-V-