Mark Simmons (scorpio@best.com)
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 15:49:18 -0700

Leslie Rashana writes,

> but the deathscythe has enhanced stealth features and is the fastest of
> all the gundams in Wing, it cna zip in *SLASH* zip back out before they
> know what happened..

  I was initially going to dismiss the Deathscythe as hopelessly pokey, but
then I recalled the Endless Waltz specs, which - in terms of power output,
which seems to be a reliable indicator of technological advancement in the
UC continuity - put the Gundams on a par with circa-UC 0120 mobile suits.
(In fact, the EW Altron's dry weight and thrust are identical to those of
the Gundam F90, which underscores the UC 0120 equivalence).

  If these things are on a par with F91 mobile suits, pulling four gees in
space (though few of 'em are able to fly in atmosphere), then the tactics
that work for the Crossbone Gundam could work just as well for the
Deathscythe - close in rapidly and engage in melee combat.

  The Deathscythe Hell isn't, as per the EW specs, the highest-acceleration
Gundam; its high "speed" stat is supposed to reflect short-distance
"dashing" speed, a sprint rather than a marathon. Still, the tactics it
employs could - and, indeed, do - work with the advanced technology of the
post-UC 0100 era.

> and Sandrock is the heaviest armored of all the Gundams,

  Relying on heavy armor works less well in the UC era - only tanks like The
O can survive beam weapon hits. This kinda depends on whether our heroes get
to bring their miracle alloy with them. ;-)

  As for the other assessments... hey, what about the Virgo? :-) A UC
0120-era mobile suit with an all-around beam shield and a beam bazooka would
be pretty lethal, though the AI aspect is a bit of a wild card...

-- Mark