Blackeagle (cdupchurch@hotmail.com)
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 00:45:34 MST

>Apparentally, the DVD of Princess Mononoke will have no Japanese launguage
>track! What's the deal! The dub may be alright, but this is a slap in the
>face to Miyazaki and anime fans as a whole pretty much, to not have an
>alternative launguage track. This DVD will probably be Pokemon, Streamline,
>or DBZ level, with only the dub and probably zilch extras except the
>trailer....I doubt Disney'll market it at all, either....

I don't think you can entirely blame Disney for the dubbing situation.
From Roger Ebert's review of the movie:
"The contract said Disney could not change a frame--but there was no
objection to dubbing into English, because of course, all animation is
dubbed into even its source language, and as Miyazaki cheerfully observes,
'English has been dubbed into Japanese for years.'"

Whatever we think of the situation, it's Miyazaki's movie. His opinion is
the one that counts.