Edward Ju (gundam@loop.com)
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 14:51:38 -0700

>> Even fanart is a derivative work based on existing copyrighted material.
>> Whether its nature is commercial or not has no bearing on the fact that
>> the infringer opens himself/herself to actions by the copyright holder.
>> The intended use of the shirt has to qualify under the fair use exception,
>> which is indeed a grey area. The easiest solution is to just get permission
>> to use an existing/licensed artwork from Bandai/Sunrise.
>>
>> Eddie
>>
>That's what I'm most worried about =) It would be really nice to have a
>bit of Gundam artwork on the shirt, but we should keep this on the level.
>Anybody knwo if Bandai/Sunrise has an e-mail address you could contact
>for this sort of thing? Or better yet, anybody know someone at Bandai? =)

I think Mark has some contacts at Bandai of America, but unless you are
going to be using artwork from Gundam Wing, you should contact Bandai of
Japan and/or Sunrise to get permission. Bandai of America could care less
if you are infringing on non-Wing series, including Endless Waltz!

Eddie

&since=-1&page=1&rows=0