Mark Simmons (scorpio@best.com)
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 02:38:10 -0700

Soimichiro Watanabe writes,

>I was just wondering, aren't they called gundams
>because of the alloy used is similar to the alloy of
>RX-78-2 Gundam ---the alloy is then called
>gundanium/gundarum (gamma, tau, etc...) in honor of
>the RX-78. So I'm guessing that its called a "gundam"
>because of the metal used.

  Always an exception: The Gundam Mk. II is made of titanium/ceramic
composite, not Gundarium alloy. For all we know, the same could be true
of the GP-series Gundams and the Psyco Gundam (which were all built
before Gundarium Gamma was available).

  This also isn't very useful as a distinction because so many other
mobile suits are made of the stuff, including obvious non-Gundams like
the Marasai and Qubeley.

>However, since almost all "Gundams" shared a design
>similar to that of the RX-78 (kinda looks lika a
>samurai armour to me, helmet, shoulder pads and all),
>I guess you also affix the term Gundam to Mechs of
>similar design (hence another question ---would you
>call the Hyukevain of the SRW series a gundam? it has
>all the basic parts: chin, v-fin, shoulder blades,
>etc. but is it made of gundanium? Would you also
>consider R1, R2 and R3 units as Gundams?

  Heh! Now we're getting into the category of Gundam ripoffs/homages...

-- Mark