James Boren (jboren@earthlink.net)
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 23:24:52 -0800

I just thought of something else. The Gundam mask--consisting of the
two eyes and faceplate--has become the absolute symbol of Gundams
today. Now I know there are many exceptions, but I believe they are
all pre-G Gundam which I think was the series that changed how we
look at gundam.

In G Gundam the Gundam mask was put on everything and it made it
instantly a gundam. The body didn't matter- as long as it had the
face. Since then- every gundam has had the Gundam face mask.---except
one! Turn A, and we know how hard it has been for people to accept
it. G-Gundam (much as I love it) has trained us all to automatically
consider a mech with the face mask, a gundam- and without one- not a
gundam.

If zeta gundam were to show up today- I don't think it would have
been as accepted- likewise if Turn A had been aired earlier- before G
Gundam. I propose that it would have had an easier time being viewed
as a Gundam.

Does my theory hold up?

-James