Alfred Urrutia (ledzep@d2.com)
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 18:15:47 -0700

"L. M. Lloyd" wrote:

> See, my thing is that we are talking about older shows. Sure, I am
> less than enthused by a show that came out last year, but has '70s
> character designs, but to say that a show from the '70s is
> unwatchable because it has dated character designs, seems to me to be
> like saying you can't stand A Clockwork Orange because the slang and
> decor are so dated. Or, to carry it even further, to say that you

More like, A Clockwork Orange would be un*watch*able if everybody acted
like in those old Mae West style b&w movies with their quick line
delivery and odd movements. Old animation is *animated*, so old/bad
character designs and animation is hard to watch for some people because
it's so primitive and choppy. Sure, the story is unaffected, but the
visuals are poor. Same goes for really old recorded music. Great songs,
but they sound poor until somebody redoes the song with better recording
methods and gives the song some depth.

> can't stand Shakespeare because they don't speak modern English! I

Sometimes that forces me to not read it. The slang makes no sense
anymore, the wording takes forever to get to the point. It's a style, an
obvious style, but it's also an example of how they used to interact. If
I have to have old sayings constantly deciphered for me then it takes the
fun out of reading it. Great stories, though.

> understand that everyone (myself included) has their own particular
> tastes, and as such will like some character designs, and not like
> others, but I feel that it is a bit shallow to write off a series
> because the characters have winged hair, and wear bellbottoms.

It's the whole lack of detail that bugs me. I can still watch the
Partridge Family (hold it, did I just admit to that?) with their goofy
get-ups because the detail is the same as now - clothes, cars, furniture,
it's all of the same level, just dumb looking now. It's not like their
clothes were made out of simple paper shapes or their cars were wood
boxes with wheels on them or the sets were two slabs of drywall and a
square hole for a window. But old animated shows had such boxy designs,
such little detail in the characters and machines and backgrounds, that
it makes me notice how primitive it looks.

> I mean, comparing the original design of the RX-78 to the Nu, the
> RX-78 looks pretty sad, but if you compare the RX-78 to Mazinger, the
> RX-78 looks shockingly cool! I think it is all a matter of what
> perspective you take.

I guess I don't want to watch Manzinger, then.

Alfred.