Mark Simmons (scorpio@best.com)
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 10:36:50 -0700

Paul Fields writes,

> How about a 2 eyed Mobile Suit, built out of Gundarium
> typically high a performance model with 2 beam sabers, I
> guess part of an experimental program is a must, but being
> a prototype isn't since some Gundams were not built as a
> prototype. The V-fin, Red Chin, and Headcannons aren't
> on all the Gundams so that can't be generalized.

  None of these characteristics can be generalized to _all_ Gundams. Some
exceptions:

* No head vulcans: RX-79[G], Gundam Mk.II
* No V-fin: Ez-8, Turn A
* No red chin: Z Gundam, Superior Gundam
* No blue chest: Nu Gundam
* Non-white base color: GP02A, GP03S, Ez-8, and Psyco Gundams
* Single beam saber: Nu Gundam (albeit with a backup on the arm), Gundam X
* One eye: Heavy Gundam

  And so forth. While I favor the interpretation that a Gundam is anything
that's _called_ a Gundam, a more satisfactory answer might be that a Gundam
needs to have many, but not all, of these characteristics. Thus, pretty much
everything in G Gundam has two eyes, a V-fin, a red chin, and head vulcans,
which makes them identifiable as Gundams despite the wide variation in color
schemes, body shape, and armament.

-- Mark