Blackeagle (cdupchurch@hotmail.com)
Sun, 25 Jun 2000 20:35:48 MST

SNIP

>Sorry to butt in here. Haven't really been following this thread...
>
>But I notice the talkers in this thread have taken for granted that both
>Feds and Zeon lost half their respective population. Appearantly the
>evidence come from the prelude monologue in the 0079 TV and movie.
>
>I've always assumed, from both the Chinese dub and sub that it was half
>the TOTAL population, with Feds' bearing the bigger share. After all, the
>frontline had always been pushing further and further into Feds's
>territory until Odessa (?) pretty late into the war. It's kind of hard to
>lose any significant fraction of your population until the war had come
>INSIDE your doorsteps. Notice the very tiny civilian loss in both Japan
>and USA (and even England) in WW2.

That's the nice thing about long range nuclear armed missiles. The bring
the fighting to your doorstep from the very first hour.

>The reason I wrote this post is that I actually notice the monologue in
>written form in one of the books. And reading the kanji and interpolating
>the katakana, I think the Chinese translation was pretty ture: it was half
>the total population, no mention of the shares between Feds and Zeon.
>
>Sorry if it's already been discussed and settled, please enlighten this
>old fool :)

My English subtitled tape from Anime Village says: "The first month of
fighting saw each side loose half their respective populations."

It's quite explicit. Considering how out of the way they went to say that
BOTH sides lost half their populations there isnt really any room for
interpretation. We were just discussing how and why this happened.