core@gundam.com
Sun, 25 Jun 2000 21:25:09 -0400 (EDT)

Lim Jyue wrote:
> Eek. Looks like all the Federation needed to do was to get a few
> nukes into place to "sink" a few colonies; the possibilty that Zeon lost
> half the population is starting to look more and more serious if the
> Federation had started the counteroffensive with nukes..

Sorry to butt in here. Haven't really been following this thread...

But I notice the talkers in this thread have taken for granted that both
Feds and Zeon lost half their respective population. Appearantly the
evidence come from the prelude monologue in the 0079 TV and movie.

I've always assumed, from both the Chinese dub and sub that it was half
the TOTAL population, with Feds' bearing the bigger share. After all, the
frontline had always been pushing further and further into Feds's
territory until Odessa (?) pretty late into the war. It's kind of hard to
lose any significant fraction of your population until the war had come
INSIDE your doorsteps. Notice the very tiny civilian loss in both Japan
and USA (and even England) in WW2.

The reason I wrote this post is that I actually notice the monologue in
written form in one of the books. And reading the kanji and interpolating
the katakana, I think the Chinese translation was pretty ture: it was half
the total population, no mention of the shares between Feds and Zeon.

Sorry if it's already been discussed and settled, please enlighten this
old fool :)

Name: Core
Patient ID: #1
Condition: Critical