Blackeagle (cdupchurch@hotmail.com)
Sun, 25 Jun 2000 11:29:53 MST

SNIP

> Unfortunately, the Moon declared itself neutral as soon as it
>could;
>The Federation could have launched a few missiles before the declaraton
>went
>into effect, but my guess is that the Lunarians would have been against any
>launching of the missiles since it could bring down the wrath of Zeon onto
>it.
>
> (Hey, that has a nice ring to it. =)

First off, my guess is anything not on the surface of the moon proper is not
considered part of their territory. Sort of a UC era 'International
Waters'. Second, what exactly are they going to do about it? Their
neutrality exists only to the extent that either they are able to enforce it
and/or the Feds and Zeon are willing to honor it. Since they don't seem to
have any military to speak of (probably just police and civil defense units
as seen in Side 6 in 0080) how will they enforce control of the space
surrounding the moon? For that matter, how will they enforce control of the
vast and largely uninhabited surface of the moon outside places like Von
Braun city?

SNIP

> >Basically, when it gets near the target the missile would disgorge
>several
> >warheads that would hit different points along the colony.
>
> Right, but would each submunitions have sufficient power to
>penetrate the outer hull and the inner earth layer of the cylinder to
>disperse in the colony?

That obviously presents a lower limit on the velocity the missile (and thus
it's submunitions) must approach the colony with. You could use some of the
orbital mechanics tricks -Z- described, or just strap a booster on each
submunition and accelerate them just before impact.

> >BTW: This is same concept is one of many reasons why the proposed
>American
> >National Missile Defense is a bunch of bullshit.
>
> Well, that's the American National Missile Defense. For us here in
>Singapore, even a near miss would kill us.. =)
>
> >I don't see any reason why the Federation wouldn't do the same.
>
> Yes, but the designs of current ICBMs are relatively straight
>forward, since there isn't a real defense against ICBM current (AFAIK).

I would hardly call current ICBM designs straightforward. They are some of
the most expensive and technologically complex mechanisims ever created.
Decoy systems are actually quite a bit simpler than the ICBM itself.

> >Currently, a Trident II D5 missile has a CEP of under 122m. This means
>that
> >after a 6000 mile flight, half the warheads will land within 122 meters
>of
> >the target point.
>
> Pretty good. Assuming each mile is 1.6km, at the end of a
>447,000km
>(279375 mile, give or take), it will land within a 5680.625m radius, give
>or
>take. This is good enough to nail a cylinder, but a little off the centre
>can mean a clean miss from certain angles too.
>
> Still, this is using stats for a ICBM designed to work near Earth.
>How effective it would be in such long range flights is difficult to say.

It would probably be more effective in space. Much of the reasons for an
ICBMs innacuracy are pertubations in the earth's gravitational field and
atmospheric distortions during reentry. Fired against a target in lunar
orbit, a missile wouldn't be affected nearly as much by Earth's
gravitational field and not at all by atmosphere.

> >It depends how powerful the warhead is. However, since there is no upper
> >limit on the power of thermonuclear weapons, the smallest possible answer
>is
> >1.
>
> While it is true that the smallest possible answer is 1, isn't
>there
>a limit on practical thermonuclear weapons, not in the actual process, but
>in the subcomponents of the delivery system?

Not really. Most current thermonuclear weapons are two stage devices. A
fission stage is used to compress, heat, then detonate a fusion stage. Both
the U.S. and U.S.S.R. have deployed three stage devices in which the 2nd
stage is used to detonate another fusion stage. One Soviet three stage
device had a design yield of 100 megatons (when tested in a less poweful
'clean' configuration it had a yield of 57Mt). While I don't think anyone's
actually deployed a four stage design (the yields on most three stage
designs are excessive for most applications), there is no real barrier to
increasing the number of stages (and thus the yield) to any number desired.